Great records let down by a single track?

Drive My Car is shite pal

No YOU’RE shite, pal.

4 Likes

‘Piper At The Gates Of Dawn’ springs to mind. I first heard this record in an extremely mangled form, as part of a cassette reissue of the 1973 compilation ‘A Nice Pair’, which comprised tracks from ‘Piper’ and Floyd’s second album. Weirdly, on the cassette release the tracks were completely jumbled up (ie. songs from the two albums were interspersed seemingly at random). I can only assume that this was to do with timing, as it was as double album on a single cassette. Anyway, I’ve had an uneasy relationship with the running order ever since. At first I disliked quite a few of the songs, mainly the ‘freakout’ tracks, but also ‘The Gnome’ which used to make me cringe with its childish rhymes (gnomes, homes, hood, good) but which I now adore and find utterly enchanting. The only track I’ve really never come to terms with over the years is ‘Pow R Toc H’ which just sounds to me like a failed experiment. What I’ve never understood is why they didn’t include ‘See Emily Play’, which was recorded around the same time. Swap those two songs, move ‘Interstellar Overdrive’ to the end, and you’ve got a contender for greatest album of all time.

I’ve never liked Feed Me with Your Kiss.

One of my favourite tracks on that album

3 Likes

Like that song. Ir’s a classic middle of the album change of pace/tone song.

Good morning spider has Pig and Happy Man. Vivadixie has Cow and Hammering The Cramps; in the same way Dog Door is the rough to the smooth. Mark didn’t Like things being too pretty.

This implies you may have a US vs UK issue going on?

1 Like

Actually, check the US tracklisting for Piper

1 Like

Different Class by Pulp is pretty fantastic all round with the exception of Disco 2000 which is horrible.

Jaws Theme Swimming on Deja Entendu

Jesus, this thread…

11 Likes

Disco 2000 is perfectly fine. Different Class is as close to a 10/10 album as I can think of.

imagine being so joyless as to think this :fearful:

14 Likes

Houses of the Holy, The Crunge ruins that album from a 10 for me

It’s not the greatest track, but the mono version works a bit better (and the mono version of the album as a whole is a shit ton better) in that at least it’s no longer mixed into one channel for a good minute.

1 Like

I’ve liked it a bit less since I first got into the album, but I still like it.

I found it weird that No More Sorry went from being unanimously considered MBV’s worst track of the Creation-era to being considered one of the best on the album. That sad trombone-guitar track totally fucking isn’t one of the highlights of Isn’t Anything at all.

Think Tank oscillates wildly between the abysmal and the sublime imo. I can’t think of another album that I love and loathe in such equal measure.

Sublime:
Out of Time
Good Song
Sweet Song
Battery in Your Leg
Ambulance

Abysmal
Crazy Frog Beat
We’ve Got A File On You
Moroccan Peoples…
Jets
Gene By Gene (or I Fought the Law part 2)

2 Likes

The Queen Is Dead would be better if it just finished at ‘There is a Light…’

The Rat

1 Like

Great album - Aquemini by Outkast.
Weak track - Mamacita.

It’s the screechy voice that really annoys me. I can just about tolerate it now, but I still dislike it more than all of the skits, which is unusual.

1 Like