Great Things Posted on Social Media

I was mainly struck by the fact I’d heard about The Girl on the Train and Gone Girl before they were films and yet I have never heard of this Woman in the Window book that’s supposedly the biggest book in the world or whatever.

It doesn’t even have a Wikipedia page!

I’ve never heard of it and I reckon I’m pretty up on my popular literature. Is it an American thing? (Have the article saved to read later)

Well it doesn’t sound like it. It’s talking about him meeting people in Aus/NZ in what sounds like stuff on the back of his having written the book.

It definitely exists

https://www.amazon.com.au/Woman-Window-J-Finn/dp/0062791451

Instant #1 New York Times Bestseller!

“Astounding. Thrilling. Amazing.” —Gillian Flynn

“Unputdownable.” —Stephen King

“A dark, twisty confection.” — Ruth Ware

“Absolutely gripping.” — Louise Penny

From that Amazon review:

Twisty and powerful, ingenious and moving, The Woman in the Window is a smart, sophisticated novel of psychological suspense that recalls the best of Hitchcock.

Of course it “recalls” Hitchcock! It is literally Rear Window.

I think this was maybe my favourite bit of that New Yorker piece actually

An American woman in mid-career, a psychologist with a Ph.D. and professional experience of psychopathy, is trapped in her large home by agoraphobia. She has been there for about a year, after a personal trauma. If she tries to go outside, the world spins. She drinks too much, and recklessly combines alcohol and anti-anxiety medication. Police officers distrust her judgment. Online, she plays chess and contributes to a forum for stress-sufferers, a place where danger lies.

This is the setup for “Copycat,” a spirited 1995 thriller, set in San Francisco, starring Sigourney Weaver and Holly Hunter. It also describes “The Woman in the Window.” In “Copycat,” the psychologist’s forum log-in is She Doc. In “Window,” it’s thedoctorisin .

“The Woman in the Window” acknowledges a debt to the film “Rear Window,” by making Anna Fox a fan of noir movies and Hitchcock. And Mallory has publicly referred a few times to “The Girl on the Train,” a well-told story about a boozily unreliable witness, a woman much like Mallory’s boozily unreliable witness. But he hasn’t acknowledged “Copycat”—unless one decides that when, in “The Woman in the Window,” a photograph with a time stamp in its corner downloads from the Internet at a suspenseful, dial-up speed, it is an homage to the same scene in “Copycat,” rather than an indictment of Internet service providers in Manhattan.

The film actually seems to have been pretty well received and the trailer makes it look decent. Not sure how come it vanished without trace given it stars Weaver and Hunter. I guess we can blame the patriarchy?

I watched that film at my university film club!remember thinking it was decent and then forgetting about it for more than twenty years

Yeah, I heard of the Woman in the Window when it was reviewed/released but that’s it.

“Thomas Pynchon loves this book almost as much as he loves cameras”

There were posters for it all over the tube for a good six months when it came out.

Also, re Copycat: it got good reviews when it came out, and is a good film, so I’m surprised that no one else made the connection. It didn’t perform brilliantly at the box office (there were a glut of post-Silence Of The Lambs film around that time), but I think someone would have seen the similarity.

LCD Soundsytem + Donald Duck.

I watched this a couple of times as a kid. I think my sister must have recorded it off the tv or something cause it’s always knocking about in my head

Half way through and dude this is nuts

This is legitimately outstanding.

It’s pretty unbelievable, surely this will be turned into a film/mini tv series at some point

weird dude.

Holy shit that’s dark AF!

Is Todd Conner someone I should be aware of though?

Sound.