Great Things Posted On Social Media

Cool be damned, I have loved Chumbawamba for almost thirty years, and this just makes me love them a little bit more.

4 Likes

Great read, not really listened to Art Brut, but on the basis of that excellent bit of amusing humility, I might do now.

1 Like

How do you feel about a band that proclaims to be anarchists signing to a major record label?

This isnā€™t meant to be a troll, itā€™s a genuine question.

Woah. Cc @laelfy

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvwD4f3n9a6/?utm_source=ig_web_button_native_share

15 Likes

Yeah this was all over my Twitter- almost posted it for you too. When you see all the internationals applauding it on Twitter you know itā€™s pretty special!

Itā€™s an endlessly thorny question, isnā€™t it? I think my take is that in the end itā€™s all profit driven capitalism, and that your soul is just as sullied signing for One Little Indian as it is Universal. The only difference is degree, and itā€™s fair to say that they had fun with the scope being on a major gave them (and Iā€™m sure theyā€™d be the first to say that EMI got what they wanted out of the relationship as well), eg:

In 2002, General Motors paid Chumbawamba a sum of either $70,000 or $100,000, to use the song ā€œPass It Alongā€ from the WYSIWYG album, for a Pontiac Vibetelevision advertisement in 2002. Chumbawamba gave the money to the anti-corporate activist groups Indymedia and CorpWatch who used the money to launch an information and environmental campaign against GM.[19] [20]

But the important takeaway here is that a Chumbawamba gig circa 1992 was one of the very best nights out you could ever have.

Mind you, Iā€™ve just looked at the version of the Anarchy album thatā€™s on streaming services. The cover of mine doesnā€™t look like thatā€¦

6 Likes

https://twitter.com/LegitTayUpdates/status/1112981292616990720

https://twitter.com/LegitTayUpdates/status/1113069120554221576

A wild ride in two whole tweets.

12 Likes

I know someone who was in one of the bands he mentioned, I told them and they were like ā€œI had no idea Eddie Argos used to hate meā€ and seemed a bit upset.

1 Like

This is a fake Twitter account. From what I know about Taylor Swift she would love the opportunity to send missiles into a Palestinian school.

I assumed sarahispi was referring to Israel jailing the person running the account for refusing to be conscripted into the army as being a total headfuck, TBH.

I mean Iā€™d refer you to Rage Against the Machine addressing this sort of query:

Some critics have accused the group of hypocrisy for voicing commitment to leftist causes while being millionaires signed to Epic Records, a subsidiary of media conglomerate Sony Records.[128] Infectious Grooves released a song called ā€œDo What I Tell Ya!ā€ which mocks lyrics from ā€œKilling in the Nameā€, accusing the band of being hypocrites.[129][130] In response to such critiques, Morello stated:

When you live in a capitalistic society, the currency of the dissemination of information goes through capitalistic channels. Would Noam Chomsky object to his works being sold at Barnes & Noble? No, because thatā€™s where people buy their books. Weā€™re not interested in preaching to just the converted. Itā€™s great to play abandoned squats run by anarchists, but itā€™s also great to be able to reach people with a revolutionary message, people from Granada Hills to Stuttgart.[11]

De la Rocha stated:

Yeah, to get as many people as possible to join the political debate, to get the dialogue going. I was wondering today, why would anyone climb to the roof of the American Embassy with a banner that says ā€œFree Mumia Abu-Jamalā€, why do you do that? Thatā€™s to get the international pressā€™ attention. The international network that Sony has available, is to me the perfect tool you know, it can get even more people to join a revolutionary awareness and fight.[131]

I seem recall how at the time of Play coming out Moby was massively anti car and other stuff, and being surprised to hear his tracks all over adverts for a load of different products including cars, but in an interview he said something about how if the advertisers couldnā€™t get his songs theyā€™d just hire someone to write a tune similar enough to avoid copyright and use that, so he figured heā€™d take the money and use it for other causes.

1 Like

I just googled bad things that Sony has done to see what evil things RATM have contributed money towards.

Just a bunch of gaming nerds going ā€œbackwards compatability.ā€ These video game companies are immune because gamers have the weirdest morals.

2 Likes

fucking love the rubberbandits. lived with an ex disser for a year during uni, and her brother came to visit for the weekend from ireland, smoked up with us (told us not to say anything but itā€™s been nearly 10 years now so fuck it) and put this on, amongst a tonne of really decent music -

3 Likes

I know that? Itā€™s very obvious itā€™s a fake account, why on earth would an American Christian be conscripted into the IDF?

2 Likes

It was a joke

I canā€™t always read sarcasm. :expressionless:

1 Like

Flew over my head too, TBF.

1 Like

Um. Itā€™s obviously not Taylor Swift, but it is a fan account run by an Israeli, who was put in prison for refusing to do military service.

1 Like

Youā€™re really driving the Wolfcastle a bit hard hereā€¦

So itā€™s not an actual tailor but someone with swift updates about a tailor? Who do I contact to get my tux refitted?

8 Likes