Grenfell Tower

To be fair the council are probably worried that if a kid kicks a football towards the building then it’ll bring the whole thing down and everyone will realise it was built out of straw. And then everybody would have to be rehoused in the sticks house.

8 Likes

This article kind of highlights something I’ve been pondering and maybe explains the guardians angle to some degree

Whilst the risks of flammable aluminium cladding aren’t perhaps as obvious as asbestos is there possibly a gap for reforms along similar lines?

I’ve found a lot of their reporting to be a bit hyper-conspiracy-like. They’re reporting things like they are a big scandal, and they’re digging out the truth, but not much of it isn’t in the public domain or hasn’t been out of the ordinary.

Like, they kept on pushing this diagram on twitter as if it revealed a bit conspiracy, but actually it’s the kind of basic project organogram

3 Likes

Then the mysterious side interest in WWF appears.

4 Likes

I think an un/healthy interest in ethical binaries and oversimplified justice good/evil stories in general probably goes hand in hand with a lot of those who’re interested in politics. Wouldn’t be surprised if there wasn’t a whole bunch of comic book fans in Parliament.

Or probably wrestling is nice and restful because there’s defined plot lines and villains that even kids can follow

Exactly what I meant tbh

2 Likes

And the “Why were they told to stay inside?” question (though admittedly that was the Mail). Erm, because that’s the standard emergency plan for these situations?

5 Likes

Was tempted to join the big gathering this eve for solidarity but not sure I like going to an SWP event after all the rape coverups and whatnot.

There’s been a gathering of people from the community outside Kensington town hall though which has just stormed the place apparently, that sounds mighty tempting.

1 Like

if you’re still not sure, don’t go to an SWP event.

4 Likes

No danger

in fact, getting busted by the SWP at protests is quite a regular thing for me. remember one hilarious moment when my friend accepted one of those placards on a stick outside Byron last year, and when I pointed out it was an SWP placard, she snapped it in two across her knee. Was hilarious.

1 Like

So annoying how ubiquitous they are

3 Likes

Whilst I’ve heard one or two troubling rumours about the fella, but I’m not sure I wouldn’t go to an event just because Shaun Wright Phillips was in attendance.

1 Like

Genuinely perfect skewering of the media’s complete abdication of its responsibilities in my life-time

https://twitter.com/MajinStevie/status/875745624699924480

18 Likes

Hear, fucking hear

1 Like

i abandoned a post about this yesterday when they were using the word “chosen”, like it was just a single choice in the over all process. hard to understand engineering langauge when it bleeds over into the mainstream.

This £5 million fund thing feels pretty insulting. It’s an impressive-looking headline figure, but if you assume that 400 people lived in that block, it busts down as £12,500 per person. I know it’s not as simplistic as that, but when you’re talking about people’s lives and livelihoods, that feels quite derisory.

I’ll be honest, I’m not sure what I’d rather they did, but it just feels like putting a capped figure like that on it is wrong. £5 million spreads so thinly when you’re looking at housing, clothing, feeding, funerals. Perhaps I’d rather they provided assistance to access services, legal aid, fast-tracking for housing. I don’t know. Maybe someone here can make me feel a bit less cynical. It just feels like a pass-off.

5 Likes

TOLD YOU

2 Likes