Grenfell Tower

yeah, just the total disconnect it shows, and to tweet that to a journalist…where are their heads at? why would anyone possibly think that was a good idea?

Aye, but I’m thinking about this from the perspective of the Power at All Costs Lizard Party. It’s fucking imbecilic, and even they should be able to recognise that.

1 Like

I would guess he’s part of the more swivel-eyed section of the party that sits better with UKIP, thinks health and safety is “political correctness gone mad” and consequences are something that happen to other people.

Saw something from the council/fire service earlier, reiterating that people should stay in their flat if there is a fire their a tower block.

It seems daft advice anyway, but surely given what has happened you should be evacuating the building - y’know like what happens in every other environment if there’s a fire…

To be fair if the council had installed fire retardant panels that would have been the correct advice.

1 Like

In tower blocks with correctly installed fire prevention measures, this is absolutely the correct advice to give unless you’re in direct proximity of the fire it should be extinguished and dealt with before it spreads.

2 Likes

Aye, but regardless of how safe it should be it still seems odd advice. Literally playing with fire - if in doubt get it out

Something it’s been hard not to notice in the past couple of days is just how much more intelligent and articulate and angry the actually authentic working class voices are, and have been in relation to this tragedy, in comparison to the pretend authentic voices that the privately educated media and political classes hold up as being representative of the ‘real working class’. These aren’t people who have put themselves forward for a political platform, they’ve just had it thrust upon them by horrible events, and what they’ve said provides such a huge contrast to the sort of views you see being championed on question time or whatever, where the ‘working class view’ is basically seen as what happens when ‘common sense’ is broken down incoherently into its most simplified, raw parts.

It’s definitely a fault of mine that this has taken me a bit by surprise, but it’s hard to properly shake off that media impression that they want to give you, that basically “they’re all thickos”. I think a lot of middle class people paying attention to what people have been saying in tv interviews will be really shocked at how different the reality of these communities and the articulation of their position in society is compared to the perception created for them by an incompetent and agenda-driven media landscape.

48 Likes

Not really as there’s a chance they would die from smoke inhalation in the stairwells or a stampede. Obviously that wasn’t the case here, so I’m hoping someone faces a manslughter charge.

Spot on. The fucking drivel on QT compared to some of those interviews, what a contrast.

6 Likes

I agree with you this far… The advice is right, but if you’ve a lack of confidence in whether your building is built and has been refurbished to regs then I can understand people choosing to ignore it in future.

One thing I think the government could and should have done this week is announced an intention to have all Tower blocks inspected at their expense, prioritising the tallest and oldest/refurbished as appropriate.

As someone from Croydon (well Caterham nowadays) who was very close to the Croydon riots, I hope these protests are exploited. It’s worrying indeed.

Hi guys
Where’s the best place to donate cash for the residents?
Thanks

Really not happy with how desperate the press are for the protests to turn ugly. “It’s all peaceful…for now”. Pricks.

For the avoidance of doubt that should be aren’t exploited.

2 Likes

Having a debate with the missus about whether Lilly Allen is helping or not helping. Personally I think fair play - get stuck in helping and support the protest. However I think my missus is right, it gives another angle for criticism/distraction and it can take the focus away.

Jim Watterson tweeted this out a few times over the last couple of days.Any of these will be good.

No issue with her being there, but in the circumstances she shouldn’t be taking a lead in anything or talking to the press (I don’t know if she has been) - allow the local residents to do that as they wish. As discussed above, it’s all the more powerful and relevant that way.

1 Like

Cheers! Will check that out

Can we burn dumb cunts like this while we’re at it Clive?
https://twitter.com/rosskempsell/status/875766459049312256

7 Likes