Greta Van Fleet

AC/DC?

Trying to stop calling music/bands embarrassing and I feel like these exist solely to test my resolve

6 Likes

Who would you say AC/DC are solely referencing?

Oh no I see. I don’t think they sound like AC/DC. GVF are specifically apeing the Led Zep groove and feel, which is quite a long way from the DC 4-to-the-floor, unsynchapated riffing.

1 Like

4 Likes

This is a great piece of writing imo, that last paragraph hits like a sack of shit

4 Likes

was just about to paste that paragraph in here. v. solid review and absolutely nails the problem i was trying to articulate above.

Yeah it made me think about Mark Fishers bits on Joy Division where he says they were ‘reflexive modernists’ - looking to the future forever, unwilling to repeat what had happened in recent pop culture ect. Now those bands will be on bandcamp while mid teir professionals listen toGreta Van Fleet on their Alexa while barbecuing on a summer afternoon

Yup, this nails it.

Normally find really bad reviews a bit unnecessary, but this feels kind of necessary. Got to say, though, i think its funny that a pitchfork writer is accusing a band of lacking self-awareness while simultaneously giving something a score of 1.6 out of 10, like he’s some kind of musical forensic scientist.

Pitchfork scores are aggregates of a bunch of their staff rather than the reviewer picking an oddly precise number, I think

2 Likes

I do wonder with bands like this, though, how much of it just starts out with a bunch of young kids just wanting to play some old music that they like, and suddenly they find themselves in a situation where they suddenly have to be sincere and committed to something that maybe was just supposed to be a bit of fun?

I dunno. I sort of feel that maybe the industry they’re in has now put them in the position of being a unit-shifting ‘band’, and it probably never started out as anything so cynical?

Benefit of the doubt? Still pish though. :-/

4 Likes

3 Likes

I heard someone make a good point the other day. How come it’s ok to blatantly rip off Sabbath, but anyone who tries to be Zeppelin are instantly regarded as trash?

1 Like

Is it?

1 Like

Because Sabbath ripped off Led Zep too?

Local record store hs been pushing this Greta Van Fleet album hard. Just assumed it was a lady solo artist not a heated up Datsuns/Jet tribute act.

1 Like

Ah fair play, that makes sense. Ihad an image of one bloke trying to decide if 1.5% was just too harsh.

1 Like

There’s so many second rate doom bands that get glowing reviews from cool websites.

1 Like

I do find it a little weird that theres some genres where it’s ok to just be a ‘genre band,’ and you can just rehash stuff without pushing the envelope and its fine, but bands who do stuff like hair metal and rockabilly are ridiculed, but I think most decent review sites are pretty fair about it.

(in no way is this post endorsing 2018 rockabilly bands, please don’t permaban me)