Growing anything? 🌱

Taters do that, don’t they? Also, they come back. We planted some a couple of years ago, thought we’d dug them all out, but the fact we’ve had two subsequent crops without planting any more suggest… not.

I trimmed my lavender at the wrong time last year and now it’s growing all weird, so it’s going to have to wait until the end of next growing cycle to get rectified (unless anyone knows any cool ‘doctors hate this one simple trick’ style ways of fixing it). Pretty miffed about it, I was putting it in my tea all last summer.

Chillis (Jalapeno, Padron, Demon Red, Fresno) and Tomatillos (and some lavender and other flowers)

Lettuce and rocket

Bay, fucking sage and more fucking sage

Beans, more chillis

Raspberries, misc flowers, more chillis and tomatillos

Not pictured are a few more pots of herbs (oregano, thyme, mint). We’ve also got a mature beech hedge, couple of cherry trees and a bunch of other bedding stuff in the borders. It’s not a big garden but there’s a lot of plants; it’s slightly annoying because while it’s south-facing, the borders are nearly all entirely in shade, but also incredibly dry, so finding things that’ll grow in them is difficult.

10 Likes

Everything in this picture is chilli plant and it’s only made one chilli.

Where’s the rest of my chillis?

12 Likes

Did it have more flowers? Did you feed it? Also, picking that one should encourage more.

The flowers always drop off before a chilli grows :frowning:

I’ll pick this one though

That might mean they’re just not getting pollinated - is there much airflow or any insects around? They can self-pollinate so if there’s not, you can do the thing with a small paint brush or cotton bud - just go from flower to flower, transferring the pollen.

That, or they’re over-watered, but I’d guess lack of pollination. But yes, pick ripe fruit and that’ll encourage more flowers at least.

1 Like

Nothing for me this year cause we were getting rid of the Brexit Conservatory for the Jubilee Extension so the Garden was a mess during the sowing time. So going to have to wait until next year for tomatoes.

Eldest has grown some poppies this year in some pots.

Also started off with cress earlier in the year, tried the tip of keeping it covered for the first 2 weeks or so to make it grow taller. Worked out well, and enjoyed putting cress on everything.

Mixed attempts branching out. Lettuce, chive & oregano all failed.

Currently got 3 Kale (did start with 6), 1 sage and a pot with 4 spinach on the go that seem to be doing ok.

Not from seed, but maintaining this Rosemary

4 Likes

thought it was IPAs?

1 Like

Jealous of everyone with a garden itt

Growing a lemon tree(?) / plant from a pip and that’s going well!

1 Like

Drugs.

Ffs le drugoi

I used to rustle them around a bit to try and pollinate but I’ve not done it for ages. That’s probably it!

Of the stuff I’m hopefully going to eat

In terms of non-edible stuff, I’ve just started trying to implement a growing philosophy where I focus on perennials which can survive the harsh winter here. The point of this is to introduce more and more stuff each year, rather than effectively starting from scratch every year. Will post some pics of my Echinacea and Hosta that were planted last year when they hopefully flower this year.

3 Likes

Got some chilli seeds for my birthday this year. Growing spaghetti and vampire chillis in a tub by the front door. Might get some Satan’s Kiss chilis soon cos i grew then last year and they were tasty and their name is metal as fuck.

1 Like

Harvested the first brocoli. Rather proud.

Although I could buy one from tesco for about 50p :grinning:

11 Likes

Oh man that’s great.

I’d love to grow some brassicas, we eat so many of them but also they’re massive and our garden is tiny.

K has this going on…we are inundated with lettuce but it is delicious

5 Likes

Ours were actually quite close together in a raised bed, six of them. Quite surprised they grew so big. Though last year I did get loads of manure from a local stables.

This year we got some netting to protect from white butterflies, which was a game changer.

Also one of the cats loves hunting them too.

1 Like