Growing up, what restaurant did you go to for a fancy meal?

If you ever went out to eat, where did your family go that was in your eyes a fancy restaurant?

We didn’t really go out to eat much at all, but about once a year we went to the Alhambra theatre in Bradford to see a show and afterwards went to Fatty Arbuckles, which was an American Diner style place. Always got a banana split for dessert. Felt so sophisticated.

6 Likes

Beefeater

7 Likes

The posh Chinese restaurant in town (maybe once a year). It… wasn’t v good, looking back

1 Like

Another vote for underwhelming local poshish chinese
It had a little artificial stream with a bridge and everything though, that was fun

2 Likes

we never dined out because it was just me, my mum and my sis and we were poor

not something I feel like I missed out on, though. was happy on the occasions we’d get chippy

2 Likes

All this talk of Chinese restaurants has reminded me of the sadly burnt down New City Palace in Glasgow which shared an entrance with a nightclub. Used to think that was the height of poshness because it had a fish tank and proper waiting staff. And a carpet.

2 Likes

The fish probably died in the fire.

1 Like

7 Likes

I think we should return to tradition and normalise going for a posh meal out at a service station again

2 Likes

Pizza’s

2 Likes

:point_up:

1 Like

Happy Eater for us, apparently we preferred it to the Little Chef. When we moved to where my parents are now, we found a pub that did food they liked; The Castle in Hurst. After a while though they stopped usimg Jennings butcher fpr their sausages, so we went to the Royal Oak in Sherlock Row instead. Got Physalis for the first time, there, as part of their banana split.

1 Like

harvester.

3 Likes

or this posh chinese

4 Likes

Love this.

2 Likes

Bluebeckers in Chobham, they did banging ribs, but one time they gave my gran food poisoning so we never went back :disappointed:

For a while we went out for dinner every Thursday, none of them were fancy. If I remember correctly we alternated between the local Indian and a place called The Cellar which was a dark cellar and all the tables were old sewing machine tables and the walls were lined with old pipes made from ivory I think, it was pretty magical as a kid. Not sure what food it was but I got ribs every week think it was “italian” but clearly they went rogue with the menu. Think it must be this place now called market kitchen which would indicate it wasn’t actually a cellar at all but I’ll be checking with mother scout

1 Like

Something about the second etc really conveys a note of harried disdain.

We used to go Fatty arbuckles too, the highlight of those times was when my older brother’s birthday sparkler in his ice cream sundae set the paper umbrella on fire. He got very sick of me reminding him of this event.

1 Like

The Tidy Doffer. A little pub/restaurant place with some donkeys and a playground at the back. It burnt down a while ago

Daft Eddie’s. Another pub/restaurant this time on its own tiny private island with a little wrecked castle