Growing up, what restaurant did you go to for a fancy meal?

Good thread!

We used to go to the Lamb Inn in Winkton, which was just down the road from us. Bike wankers might have been there or cycled past it:

I used to dread it a little bit: I didn’t have much of an appetite as a teenager, so I remember trying to force down my plaice and chips for fear of leaving food that we’d paid for. Then I’d go home and not be able to sleep because I was too full.

Chili’s. It had a train. Loved it

0_256190-7R_VEN0290210

3 Likes

And awesome blossoms/bloomin onions

Can barely remember much about the menu, because of the train. Used to get fajitas I think

1 Like

This, but the one in Royal Exchange Square

There’ll always be a little bit of my heart devoted to Pizzaland (RIP, pour one out xx)

1 Like

Cant remember ever going out to eat with my family in the Uk, we only ever went to restaurants when on holiday

Pretty much anywhere felt fancy as eating out was such a rarity.

Relatively fancy local Indian or pizza hut.

I remember always being impressed with these bowls of aniseedy hundreds and thousands that you’d get a handful of when you left.

Edit: oops

3 Likes

The Blue Dolphin Bistro, Kingsbridge. I also worked there for a bit. It was fucking great. Now it’s a Chinese, which is also very nice actually.

Inn Cognito in Halifax

Market Kitchen is quite nice. Kinda french bistro with some veggie options. The Italian in Ashton (Primo) is probably the best place to eat

1 Like

We went to our local pub, which I later ended up working at (and the landlords were wankers).

If we wanted a ‘fun’ meal that was more for us kids, we’d go to TGI Fridays. I used to love it. Went not so long ago and it was really, really bad. I don’t know if it got worse or it had always been that bad.

Also it does have a downstairs

1 Like

The Paul Pry in Peterborough. Couple of Panda Pops and a slab of meat near some chips. Definitely wasn’t ‘good’ in hindsight but we were kids with kid wants so it was fine really.

the country club

they had something like a 50 inch square crt tv

The Bellhouse harvester in Eastwood.

Also Simply Blues which was a small american-Italian place:

1 Like

Fuuck always used to go here and completely forgot about it… loved that train

1 Like

Garfunkels on Sutton High Street. Don’t tell me my parents didn’t know how to live.

When I was little, Brewers Fayre – pick off the Charlie Chalk kids menu.
Bit older, couple of better local gastro pubs/Italian chain restaurant (usually ASK).

Whatever it was my parents would come loaded to the gunnels with discount vouchers and complain about at least one of the meals to the manager and ask to have it taken off the bill.