Guardian Top 100 TV Shows of the 21st Century

Should really get around to starting Sopranos at some point.

1 Like

Tbf the bit after 2000 is when it started to get worse, but still, should be top 20 at least.

Guardian journos don’t watch cartoons, otherwise it’d be a tight battle between Phineas & Ferb and She-Ra at the top.

1 Like

Breaking Bad was better than The Sopranos

Glad to see This Is England on there which is almost always forgotten about as a TV show even though it’s one of the biggest achievements in British tv and film ever

1 Like

Good showing for 30 Rock :+1:

4 Likes

It’s entertaining enough, but also increasingly silly. I think it’s at number 30 because everyone loved Fleabag so much.

1 - Wire
2 - Sopranos
3 - Breaking Bad
4 - Peep Show
5 - Always Sunny…

In general though, I can’t find much to disagree with. Big Brother, Bake Off, I’m a Celebrity and Strictly can fuck right off, but then again I find watching reality TV about as much fun as bathing in liquid histamine.

Fleabag that high up is some insane recency bias.

The Leftovers, Show Me A Hero and Halt & Catch Fire are all far, far too low on this list.

Hate lists.

2 Likes

Breaking bad is fun and very watchable but it isn’t anywhere near as good as yer wires and sopranos (better call Saul is better than bb, too)

2 Likes

Buffy ran to 2004 iirc

Excuse me whilst I marckee…

Final episode date: 20 May 2003

1 Like

Red Riding is probably my favourite TV show of all time.

It is the easiest list to agree with by a long way.

2 Likes

Is fringe there?

3 Likes

The best show of this century is Sex and the City :slight_smile:

Top 2 should be The Wire and Match of the Day. Don’t care which order

1 Like

Ooh right.

Is this because S1 was a mid-season replacement and ran entirely at the start of 97 so S2 started 97 too?

In any case, because they’re counting 2000 as 21st C that still puts it more in the 21st C

1 Like

Not a good list that, it’s like they picked some eligible shows and placed them at random

1 Like

Struggling to find fault with the top 7, though I might swap The Wire and the Sopranos.

Girls in the top 20. Unacceptable

1 Like