Guardian (but mostly Adrian Chiles)

Doesn’t seem that objectionable? I mean, it’s kind of TMI, why do I need to know this, why are you writing about it, but I guess that’s part of the point. There must be a lot of families out there in the same boat.

I just found it funny that she was complaining about having a house full of 20 something children, but she was still going into their rooms and tidying up for them.

Thematic that they turned the comments off for that one.

2 Likes

Yeah I read it. I was surprised to see it there for sure. Don’t know whether I abhor or applaud their decision to be honest, it’s a tricky one. i’m sure the letters page will be rammed with comment on it tomorrow, and it’s possible/likely that an opposition voice will get a similar piece too.

Like I said, I don’t know how I feel about it. I’m sure they considered it very carefully. The fact of the matter is though that he is the President of Turkey, and what he says or writes matters and should be reported. I would definitely have a problem if it were left to stand alone, but as I said I’m sure they will view this as the beginning of a debate on their pages. I don’t read anything into the blocking of online comments, the issue is too sensitive to let those mooing morons have their fun with it.

It’ll be interesting to see what the fall out will be over the next week.

I find it very hard to believe it will have any significant effect at all.

I really wanted to believe that Mancunians could be trusted with nice things.

I rode a Mobike to Salford Quays, where I swam a mile in the filtered water of the glistening Lowry, reflecting as I did my backstroke that Manchester was starting to feel rather European.

5 Likes

The Guardian’s apparently started looking at DiS threads for article ideas

2 Likes

“What the number of windows in your house says about you”

1 Like

I’m worried i may have too many internal doors in my home

I know it’s petty, but it annoys me that people lump Salford and Manchester together. Salford’s bigger than Southampton, or York, or Aberdeen and has had City status since the mid-20s.

1 Like

it’s a fair enough complaint, especially if someone is springboarding from that to basically call mancunians as a whole scumbags cos a handful have nicked some bikes.

What do they seriously expect if they drop thousands of flash-looking bikes into the middle of some of the most deprived urban areas in the UK and a sizeable part of their schtick is “LITERALLY NOBODY CAN STEAL THESE”?

(Think it’s a great scheme, btw, and the reaction seems to have been pretty positive).

2 Likes

:thinking::thinking::thinking:

liberal white person in weirdo creative bubble hates poor people reminding them of life outside said bubble. by and large it’s a good scheme and definitely doesn’t warrant 1000 words tinged with classism and snobbery, even if it’s half-hearted ironicalism.

Town within a city within a borough. It’s complicated…but pop into a Salford boozer when you’re next passing and call them Mancs!

Was a toss up between this thread and the fascism one tbh

Well someone needs to pick our fruit and veg when we leave…

Early Unicorns album title needed work (Who Will Cut Our Hair When We're Gone? - Wikipedia)

1 Like