Guardian

‘Instead of subscribing to that useless clown, please consider subscribing to us so we can keep paying these useless clowns’

7 Likes

We’re willing to step up to the plate and call key figures “shit-whillopping toss-magnets”

1 Like

Today’s episode of “Questions to which the answer is clearly no”.

It’s actually a much more interesting read than the title suggests. I was expecting Chiles-grade existential angst over the march of middle age in the era of flat whites.

3 Likes

Within a century, coffeehouses had sprung up in cities across the Arab world. In 1570 there were more than 600 of them in Constantinople alone, and they spread north and west with the Ottoman empire

Fucking Starbucks

2 Likes

Can’t not read this in the voice of Kent Brockman…

12 Likes

9 Likes

12 Likes

Oh dear, they’ve now turned it into their actual footer, asking for subscriptions, rather than just a final paragraph in a report:

2 Likes

Oddly enough, I don’t entirely disagree with them on this. I should stress that what I am about to relate is personal experience only.

I suffer from anxiety as do many people, but there came a point where I was suffering from it a lot, and much of the time I didn’t know what I was anxious about. I took medical advice, and that advice was “reduce your caffeine”. I now have one or two drinks with caffeine in the morning, then switch to decaf only. And what happened was that the inexplicable anxiety that I used to get in the afternoons stopped. Obviously the explicable anxiety with known root causes still happens, and everyone gets that. I would never seek to diminish it.

I know the view gets widely mocked by people who say “don’t talk to me until I’ve had my three morning coffees”, but everyone should moderate their caffeine intake.

1 Like

On a lighter note…

1 Like

fingers on the pulse as ever

6 Likes
2 Likes

perfect crossover of their daily “something about NZ” story and swimming in rivers and stuff:

Very cool article, makes some great points:

Wonder which idiots have been saying that…

1 Like

As a side point something really unpleasant about discussing carbon efficiency in a way that seems to exclude the animal’s quality of (short?) life as important isn’t there? Not levelling that at The Guardian, just a general thing.

1 Like

Just want to say absolutely to this. I still drink tea occasionally, but getting rid of my daily cups of coffee, and other caffeine, massively helped with my anxiety, especially in the workplace. I still have a lot of other steps to go through, but this one was a big one. I feel physically so much better for it and to some degree the daily creeping dread has reduced.

Was a real easy one to let go which was surprising

1 Like

An epic

2 Likes

The Gloucester was a shit hole. If his mate had taken him to the Zap or the Escape, he’d have a completely different outlook.

Also, when you’re about 20, the Megabuster at the Market Diner isn’t that much of a challenge (wouldn’t care to go to the Market Diner as a fully grown adult though)

1 Like