Guardian (but mostly Adrian Chiles)

Does this old side hustle lark include ‘being a parent’ or ‘being a part time carer’ or is it just doing stuff you can monetise?

You should write them a letter. There is nothing they love more than routinely publishing letters from people along the lines of “why did you publish an article on ‘why expensive clothes are rubbish’ next to an advert for expensive clothes”.

That said, there’s something a bit funny about this coming up in their daily “what popped into my head to write about when I stared out of the window of my home office this morning” column.

Mate only losers do work for free. Get with the programme!

Running editorial that contradicts advertising is one thing, but this is the subs contradicting a whole section on the site (no other paper’s site has a Side Hustle section I don’t think). The piece itself barely mentions side hustles, it’s just weird that the subheader does.

The article itself actually makes a decent point about those articles about people paying off a mortgage early etc are usually beneficiaries of inheritances - like that couple who went to live the simple life in the woods in Vermont (who inherited money and own rental property).

There’s nearly a good piece here about how poverty is framed as the fault of the poor, who just aren’t thrifty/ingenious enough to succeed - but it’s a classic ‘oh shit 1000 words by lunch’ and whiffs it

My side hustle IS the programme, pal.

Well you’ve nailed the point there. She mentions the phrase once in the article, and that reference is barely tangentially connected to the rest of her piece. Obviously there is a big difference between people with high-paid jobs doing side projects (which seems to be the basis of the sponsored subsite) and people working many low-paid jobs to make ends meet, which is the basis of her article.

Obviously you’re right that there’s scope for a much more detailed examination of precarious work, the manipulation of self-employment statistics by the government and all the rest of it. And I’m sure Toynbee or someone else has written it at length. Mahdawi’s piece comes just above a quickly banged out piece on her checking Youtube for condom snorting videos so perhaps should be given the appropriate amount of reverence.

2 Likes

As I’ve mentioned before, one of my old friends bangs out this sort of shit for the Times all the time. I wish she didn’t, but she does.

Maybe. Maybe not. I think there’s a range of targets here. With it basically being an advert for for Squarespace I took it to be in the vein of Hey everybody, you can monetise your hobby simply by having a website for it. A la every third bored wife starting up a baking ‘business’. Or, for something slightly more Tarquin, an alternative side hussle* might be pop up** street food*** (aka a quirky burger van).

*self-funding hobby, cottage industry, kitchen sink business…
**temporary
***seemingly any food that isn’t a steak and kidney pie served in a pub

Yeah. I treat all the paid for content as if it weren’t there to be honest.

“Side hustle” is a tooth-grinding phrase anyway. That said, there’s a thread in it.

Meme explained

what

I have two buy-to-let properties I own which pay my mortgage, and I’m about to take on a third one. And I do guaranteed rentals; I rent, say, a three-bed home and pay £1,500 a month to the landlord guaranteed for five years, then I make it an HMO (house of multiple occupation) doing things like changing the lounge into a bedroom and earning more than the £1,500 rent.

Imagine being 21 but looking in your mid 30s. And also being absolute trash.

7 Likes

might start getting private jets everywhere, see how much business I can drum up

this is the guardian allowing a rancid little twat to take a massive shit all over the reader.

1 Like

Every week there’s something like this. A week of news stories about how tough life is for youngsters, and then a feature on how rich some cunt is!

Is that even legal? Or at least, surely against his lease?

Also, who’s leading the lynching?

All that subscription money is going towards hiring the top memeologists

1 Like

fk off you cbridge anus-shy-ct

edit: oh come on

Can’t imagine he’s signing a standard lease if he’s guaranteeing rent for 5 years. He’ll be signing an awful lease for awful people.

:man_facepalming:

1 Like