Guardian (but mostly Adrian Chiles)

It IS a weird thing to poll. I can see why somebody might have pride in their own city, because it’s a place they’ve contributed to and chosen to spend their life, but I really wouldn’t understand the question if somebody asked me if I had any pride in London. Nowt to do with me is it? Ask me if I’m proud of somebody else’s kids while you’re at it.

6 Likes

Not really the fault of the Gaurdian, though, that - it’s not like they commissioned the poll or anything.

It’s not that odd. London is regarded as one of the great cities of the world by many, many people.

yeah but feeling “pride” in a city is weird, like i feel proud when i do something good, i don’t feel proud of a collection of buildings

A city isn’t just a collection of buildings.

i mean i like london, when i go, and i would recommend it to someone, but…idk, pride is a different thing to me.

Success. All London’s. Done all on its own. In London. By London. Ruddy gruddy decent honest hard-working productive London. Successful London. London that earns it’s keep and is worthy of investment. In transport. And national institutions, headquarters and organisations. Investment. Not the subsidies. The free money. From London. That the ungrateful, jealous, scumproles in the awful grey provinces waste away.

Needlessly defensive? Nah. Necessarily on the attack.

10 Likes

Had a very enjoyable ten day holiday in London this summer. Great stuff.

1 Like

Kind of a bit needlessly defensive too.

Defence AND attack? Like John Barnes’ England?

1 Like

What a fucking simpleton

1 Like

I know nobody likes Steve Bell, but look what happens when he goes on holiday/draws something racist

6 Likes

whut

3 Likes

I know it’s a Zoe Williams column, but even for her it’s just a lot of unconnected sentences thrown together. Literally doesn’t make a lick of sense.

2 Likes

She nearly had a point when she mentioned younger and older feminists being pitted against each other. Nearly.

never.

4 Likes

Yeah and itd be fucking weird if they were proud of it too, while not being from there.

image Thinking Emoji Hmm GIF - Thinking Emoji Hmm - Discover & Share GIFs

5 Likes

pretty weird, lads

It is important to note here that there is no strict legal definition of stalking

always a good sign when you need to include this clarification in an article you’ve written

11 Likes