Guardian (but mostly Adrian Chiles)

Just came to post this. Genuine fucking farce.

There is ultimately something quite sinister about a member of the public who has taken umbrage with someone … being able to have their disdain acted out via the strong arm of institutional power.

So actually it’s FINE that my student neighbours where having a party at 2am on Monday morning last week :grimacing:

And with the kids on this one Rob, sorry. Try some noise-cancelling headphones.

2 Likes

No. Why on earth should I have to? Why would the onus not be on them to act in a reasonable manner?

Do what you like in halls, but to act like that when you move in next door to a family with a toddler is incredibly selfish.

3 Likes

as someone who was driven half-insane by my neighbour’s persistant snoring and loud TV late at night over the summer - i mean both were so loud the gf and i were being woken up at 2 in the morning, operating on a handful of hours sleep every day, feeling miserable and exhausted and fighting with each other all the time - i am very much on your side here, rob. i tried to be nice about it and resolve it like a grown up, and he chose to be an absolutely aggressive and unpleasant prick who would avoid me but ambushed my 5’ 4" gf on her way home from work several times telling her we were the ones with the problem. we ended up going to the council in the end, and the snoring and TV volume he said “didn’t have an overnight fix” ended as soon as they sent him a letter about our complaint.

honestly don’t know how i would have coped if i’d had a young un during the worst of it. music must be even worse too.

3 Likes

Have you tried talking to them? Surely you can get them to agree to only party on the weekend, or at least tell you when they’re going to do it.

It’s just that my instinctual reaction is along the lines of what you just posted - only get the authorities involved if you absolutely have to. The law/government can be extremely unpleasant if it’s directed against young people at the behest of the older and better off (not that I’m saying you necessarily are).

Coco Khan is a Guardian columnist and feature writer, and has never had bad neighbours.

FTFY, graun.

urgh

1 Like

The New York Times’ take on it the other day was even worse:

1 Like

Not the guardian but its of the ilk

mental idea for an article

‘What if the bear woke up and simply ripped the rabbit’s head off?’

3 Likes

I know this thread is designed to shit all over the Guardian (and boy do they deserve it sometimes), but I found the linked article really good, as are many of the “Long Read” articles lately.

Journalism

1 Like

But are its fans merely cashing in on good luck and well-paid jobs

7 Likes

Haha. Accumulating property and extracting wealth from workers! Think these guys might be onto something.

4 Likes

36 :eyes:

Ah he might not be 36. Learn to read bruv

3 Likes

Good with money and bought a woodland. Nominative determinism in action.

13 Likes

Did better in life than their neighbours, the Spendthriftbins

12 Likes

Jeffrey Haye-Networth

4 Likes

The Guardian did a piece on them earlier this year, it turned out that they actually both WFH full-time and spend 1000s a month

1 Like