Guardian

Ooooooooh!
I am for ree-ee-al

13 Likes

missed a trick there, they should have gone with a headline of
Everything’s coming up Mulhouse

4 Likes

This might be the worst thing I’ve ever read.

3 Likes

from the comments:

Masterful work, Mr. Crace. The way you manage to turn these darkening days into such a source for genuinely profound humour never ceases to amaze me.

But likewise, i think it’s one of the worst things i have read.

1 Like

I don’t normally feed this thread voluntarily, but…

This is an absolute classic of the genre. Stupid idea punted by an editor at a bored freelance, who then doesn’t even do it, and can’t really be bothered to think up much to write about it. And there’s your article.

2 Likes

On the one hand Crace is a reformed druggie with mental health issues who should be supported. On the other hand he’s really crap at writing political satire.

[See I can write like Gabby Hinsliff too!]

I used to think Crace was the very height of satirical genius when I was about 16. Strange, but also revealing, to think he’s been doing the exact same schtick for around half my lifespan.

You see in my head he only took over from Simon Hoggart about a year ago.

Don’t have the energy to be disappointed any more, but this piece is pretty damn special.

Just casually suggesting that recent assaults on random lesbians are a result of transgender people. Not even, causally. That’s literally the article. What fucking bullshit. And they offer no mention of why a transgender person might have ‘verbally assaulted’ Julie Bindel. Would they say someone ‘verbally assaulted’ Tommy Robinson without any further explanation? No, she’s just a "lesbian feminist campaigner '.

And then this

The argument between trans activists and feminists regarding proposed legal reforms has unfortunately become extremely bitter. Both groups feel their identities and beliefs are threatened by each other.

Just fuck off fuck off fuck off. Don’t even know where to start with this.

1. You have been instrumental in making things bitter by peddling transphobic hate pieces.
  2. Love how they write it so that “feminists” = ‘TERFs’ (everyone knows there are no trans-inclusive, or God forbid trans, feminists around,right?).
  3. That argument is about our right to fucking exist. That’s not a both sides.

This might actually be one of the most reprehensible anti-trans things I’ve read on the guardian and there’s stiff competition there.

Nice of them to link up with the Vatican to throw double transphobia bullshit at people at the same time during pride month though.

18 Likes

Our identities are not in fucking conflict.

I’m so angry. I hate being angry.

The whole editorial could’ve been written to satirise liberal both-siding. Here is what authoritiarianism leads to, this is what allowing space for hatemongers leads to, here are the very real stakes if we don’t fight against it. Oh also a transperson was really mean to one of our virulently anti-trans journalists, so there’s equal amounts of blame on both sides really.

small consolation but a few of the more left wing guardian journos are pretty pissed about this too

1 Like

What makes Beto run? This morning it’s Pride and fighting prejudice

An article that could almost incite you to get American citizenship to vote for any of his rivals…

been reading this hungarian novel, and one of the other things by him is a ludicrous 1200 pages long and took him 18 years to write. decided to read the guardian review, and it was this weird anti-intellectual rant that barely considered the book at all, included lines like ‘The magnificos in Hungary have really lost the public’, and talked briefly about ‘jewish writers’ and so on.

I thought this seemed a little bit weird, and sure enough one of the commenters pointed out that the writer (Tibor Fischer) was an Orban supporter (defending him against anti-semitism, authoritarianism etc) and references to the people and intellectuals and so on, are not exactly innocent

anyway, not really sure what my point is, just a little odd to see the guardian publishing book reviews that are effectively disguised pieces of cryptofascist propaganda

[should point out that the review is from 2011, the piece where Fischer defends Orban 2017]

Good content.

2 Likes

I read under the frog by tibor fischer years ago and really liked it. this isn’t good :frowning_face:

He’s just another loudmouth contrarian bore I think (short interview with a Hungarian journalist from the time here where it becomes quite clear he hasn’t much of a clue what he’s talking about)

This feels like a joke piece. Surely if you cut your foot open on glass getting dog shit in the wound is a cause for alarm?

(I know, I know, but that’s how it read to me at first.)

1 Like

(not going to link to the actual article - it’s a piece of trash)

1 Like

What I don’t get about going barefoot all the time is how dirty your feet would get. I walked back home from a party once with bare feet as a wacky teen and my feet were black after 15 mins, they felt gross as hell and took ages to scrub clean. Imagine doing that every day. They’d feel disgusting constantly.