Guided By Voices in 2021

Zeppelin has a handful of great songs but a ton of filler imo, absolutely should not have been a double album

2 Likes

Was tricky to pick through in advance of the gig that’s for sure

1 Like

tune… the last chorus with the lead guitar and the outro on it is ace

1 Like

love this Poppyfield deepcut

1 Like

I love that, could be from basically any point of their career

1 Like

Managed to get my hands on a download of the new album. Been spinning it this morning. Enjoyable!

Earth Man Blues is growing on me, definitely alot more going on in there than I initially thought. The downside is I’ve listened to probably 5 or 6 times and the only song I can remember is Ant - repell - ent!

BTW ‘shit business at the LA Fitness’ is a banger. Love it!

Ant repellant!

Ha! Thank you, that’s kind (and, undeniably, true!)

I’ve come to the conclusion Earth Man Blues is great.

Saw that Rolling Stone called it their best album in decades. Rolling Stone tho.

Reckon every album they’ve put out recently has been called their best in decades. Oasis-esque

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s not true. It’s streaming now if people wanna hear it who haven’t purchased.

1 Like

Presumably for the majority of reviewers it’ll also be one of the only albums of theirs they’ve heard in decades too

1 Like

Good point

Dougs guitar on this

Yeah that is a ripper of a closer. This album is growing on me now (might be because I bought the super bundle with the signed print , so I’m really hoping this album is a late career classic, so it makes the signed print more significant, than just one of a million GBV albums released in the last few years. ). I bet Hippy and Test Pilot are real by the numbers clunkers , but apart from that an enjoyable listen with a few curve balls.

What’s your thoughts on his low register singing style on some songs. It’s different but does get dangerously close to Vic Reeves Club Singer in some parts.

1 Like

Really like his vox on the record and love the lower register/delayed stuff. Some of the vox on the new line-up records are very phoned in (particularly the opener on Mirrored Aztec), but I think this one is really good.

This is beautiful, love the lyrics (which i can hear, haha)

1 Like

Yeah this would be one of my favorites . This one , batman sees the ball, Sunshine Girl Hello,Wave Starter , Plum and Child’s Play are my stands out this far.