Haggling (consumer Sunday, with polls)

Yeah but you said that anything over £50 is likely to be making a profit which isn’t the case really. Stores make the majority of their money from upselling insurance/warranties and peripherals which DO have a ridiculous mark up. The ticket item’s are usually razer-thin in terms of profitability.

Said toaster in question was probably selling poorly and it was probably worth selling at trade value.

3 Likes

Like can you do it in schuh and stuff?

even thinking about haggling makes me anxious

2 Likes

*Dr

2 Likes

Aye!

hate the idea of haggling as it’s just inherently unfair. Why should someone get things cheaper because they are more aggressive or charismatic?

3 Likes

Generally think people who haggle are horrendous, but i think i’ve been conditioned to dislike them by a former colleague who haggled everywhere from hotels, to supermarkets, to taxis, to restaurants.

If it’s a trade place of any kind i might haggle, but more to earn man points than anything else.

2 Likes

Would haggle at

• Online marketplace (gumtree/eBay etc.)
  • Market stall
  • Second hand shop
  • Independent shop
  • High street chain
  • Supermarket
  • None

0 voters

Happily haggle when the price is blatantly made up - insurance, phone shops, non-charity second hand shops etc. Wouldn’t do it in normal shops where the sales people probably don’t have the authority to change the price anyway.

Would like to see @rich-t’s face if someone tried to haggle with him over some hot cross buns in M&S

6 Likes

CMON PAL

That one doesn’t even have that many currents in it, why should it cost as much as the others?

2 Likes

Electric hot cross buns?

I’d tell them to fuck off in nice flowery words

1 Like

I haggle, I think I’m pretty good at it too. Usually only independent shops and only larger items, can’t think how unbearable sat at a Tesco checkout and having cunts arguing the toss over a banana.

Had this conversation with my old man a few time and he conceded even he would haggle but only for a car.

3 Likes

Sold my car online last year. Put it up for maybe £100 more than I expected to get for it but the lad was a non-haggle so just paid me the full whack. Felt a bit bad

I do my own haggling at tezzers by choosing the bakery and veg items I’d like to pay for at the self service

Already winning overall after stuffing myself with pine nuts anyway

4 Likes

If you’re not haggling for any musical equipment/instruments you’re being absolutely ripped off btw, it’s more or less expected and already built into the pricing.

2 Likes

A guy at work was selling his house last year and someone offered to write him a cheque for the full asking price at the end of the first viewing.

Tbf every decent house I’ve seen in the last 2 months has sold for way over asking price. But that seems like a weird Sheffield quirk