Handshakes from history

We all love a thread about celebrity encounters, but lets step it up a gear - how closely connected are you to genuine, world-changing historical figures? In six degrees of Kevin Bacon style, have you shaken hand with someone who’s shaken hands with someone who’s shaken hands with a true icon?

I once shook hands with John Major at the launch of his book about music hall (a gripping read, I’m sure), and he has definitely shaken hands with the Queen*, which means I’m only three handshakes removed from loads of key 20th century figures that she has met - Churchill, JFK, Mandela. Via the Duke of Windsor I’m only four handshakes removed from Hitler! Kind of weird to think about.

*Obviously I do not recognise her legitimacy, but for sake of ease I’ll refer to her as the Queen

5 Likes

Errrr probably caught Tory disease

He was very rude! I washed thoroughly afterwards. I actually spent most of the evening chatting to Roy Hudd who was lovely (down to earth and VERY funny).

1 Like

John Major lack of manners more like eh

5 Likes

Yes!

Shook hands with Mary McAleese, Enda Kenny and Michael D. Higgins, at least one of those has met Mandela or someone I’d say

1 Like

Shaken hands with Sir Alex Ferguson who has also shaken the hand of every important person of the last 50 years

5 Likes

ferguson-blair

me>my dad>cliff richard
me>eric cantona

two of the greats

1 Like

Don King and Tom Hanks. Can’t be far off the top with either of them.

I’ve shaken my friend’s hand, and she sat on Einstein’s knee when she was a kid. I’m telling myself she must have shaken his hand as part of that manoeuvre.

1 Like

Oh… Kirsty Wark, she most have shook some good ones.

Blair’s got a bit of Frank Spencer going on there

Told this before but I once came home from school to find Sir Cliff in my lounge (he was accompanied by my dad).

You think cliff Richard and Eric cantina have ever shaken hands?

:heart_eyes:

1 Like

did you shake his hand balonz? then we’d have shaken hands by transitive property

That’s a great one.

1 Like

My mate Dave is a serial celebrity selfie hound. I’ve shaken hands with him on numerous occasions and, amongst many others, he has taken selfies/shaken hands with (in ascending order of importance:
Princess Anne
Pele
Mark Selby
Joe Root
Paolo Wanchope
The Chuckle Brothers

I can’t remember but let’s say yes (although it was before I was 13 so more unlikely I would have thought).

2 Likes