Happy New Albums 6/1/23

Hello everyone. Not a big week but a few decent punk releases.

Iggy Pop - Every Loser
Apparently a return to a rawer Stooges-esque punk sound. This is his 19th solo album.

FFO: marbles wrapped in leather, Jennifer Aniston in another 60 years,

Anti Flag - LIES THEY TELL OUR CHILDREN
Angry political skate punk veterans who have decided to write in ALL CAPS now because they’re so pissed off. This has some unusual (for them) collaborations like the singer from Pinkshift so might be interesting.

FFO: that t shirt that says “my tummy hurts and I’m mad at the government”

3 Likes

New Rozi Plain EP (which came out yesterday for some reason?)

Actually this just looks like a bunch of tracks from the album, which is out next week. Good one!

5 Likes

AJ Suede - Indica Music

Prolific rapper with his first but probably not last release of the year. No rap features but a whole bunch of different beat producers.

4 Likes

Only thing on my radar is a new Doom Flower album. Last one was sort of late night shuffling slow core / indie rock, but apparently this one uses more ‘beats’.

4 Likes

Beat me to it.

A couple of Hip-Hop beat tapes…

DirtyDiggs - Universe

Space themed Boom Bap.

Hi-Tek - Glen Orchard Drive (1993 MPC 60)

A collection of instrumentals made by Hi-Tek in '93. More nice jazzy boom-bap.

1 Like

LP on preorder so looking forward to this next week…

1 Like
7 Likes

This was out in December on cassette but jas just made it to streaming. Ambient / electronica with lots of piano.

14 Likes

This came up on my Discover Weekly and was the only thing I’m interested in :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

Looking at the release calendar, the first 6 months look extremely quiet for me, so relying on you guys for new music inspirations!

Fireworks - Higher Lonely Power
Mid 00s style emo tinged pop punk in the same vein as the Wonder Years.

4 Likes

Dark Sky Burial - INFERUS

Surprise release on New Year’s Eve from Dark Sky Burial (Shane Embury from Napalm Death). Dark ambient electronica.

Shane Embury finally caving must mean that every musician on earth now has an ambient side project.

6 Likes

The Black Dog - Music for Dead Airports EP

More ambient electronica, these four slow tracks picking up the theme of The Black Dog’s 2010 project Music for Real Airports (which is being re-pressed later this month), itself a response to Brian Eno’s Music for Airports.

The Black Dog present four tracks written in Sheffield airports, car parks and on the land where both once stood, channelling what should have been, instead of the feverish nightmares they became. Once again we find ourselves reflecting on the difference and why it has to be so.

6 Likes

Though he may be the first to call one of his tracks “Cleansed in the Urine of the Bull”.

This is really good - and a little more progressive than pop punk… Was planning to spin it off the back of stereogum/brooklyn vegan being excited about it, even though i wasn’t aware of them previously. This sentence from BV sums up my feelings on first listen!

It’s an ever-changing journey that ranges from electronics-infused art rock to metallic post-hardcore to sweeping, string-laden climaxes to atmospheric dream pop to breakbeats to the driving energy of Fireworks’ earlier punky emo-pop records to so many other things that aren’t easily described with a few genres and adjectives

2 Likes

Was just reading the Graund review of this - did not realise he had done the soundtrack :grinning:

2 Likes

Barbara Pravi - Les Prières - guérir
EP from the French Voila Eurovision hit lady. Really quite nice half hour of songs.

Korantemaa - Skin N Bones
20 year-old singer, Swedish downbeat pop.

3 Likes

19 minutes! Nice one AJ.

2 Likes