Harvey Weinstein sexual harrassment claims

tw

there was a really nasty & famous case of this in Sweden a few years back where the school, the church, the parents, the classmates etc, all gave the ‘popular, rich and handsome’ lad the benefit of the doubt & even active support against his ‘ugly & unpopular’ accuser forcing her into hiding & moving schools. She was actually banned by the school from her own graduation ceremony because they ‘didn’t want any trouble’.
The night of the graduation the lad raped another girl…

It’s not even unusual - see all the campus rapes in the US where the frat boys get 30 hours community service or whatever. Grim

Guillotine?

indeed

and I think in large part it comes down to the inherent gender bias of visibility & authority in society which just repeats itself ad infinitum - from how we raise kids up to whose voice we trust as the truth in matters of society and politics etc.

There’s a word in Swedish which doesn’t really have a direct English translation; Opinionsbildare. It literally means ‘opinion former’ but it refers to people in power or visible roles - media, newsreaders, bosses, owners etc - the people whose word carries authority. The more you can relate to the opinionsbildare the more you believe that your own voice has authority. Unsurprisingly the vast majority of opinionsbildare are middle-aged white men so thus white men are gifted the inherent bias that their own voice/opinion/view of the world is the authoritative one & everyone else becomes ‘othered’

There was and still is a big campaign group in Swedish media to diversify as many opinionsbildare as possible in state media & private business in order to counteract this bias. Of course there’s an angry white men backlash but fuck that. I work quite often with young kids in the 7-12 yo age range and in a very short space of time the difference has been amazing when it comes to just how differently they are able to process ‘norms’ as being transient rather than a fixed part of society. They’re way ahead of their parents on this (mostly)

I guess they are a great example of positive direct action

Clooney has gone on record now:

tl;dr “Sure, we all knew he was a massive creep, but I didn’t think he was criminally compromised creep!”

It’s kind of sad that this is just a default state of affairs that nobody gives a second thought to:

“and yes, if you’re asking if I knew that someone who was very powerful had a tendency to hit on young, beautiful women, sure.”

yeah, he’s letting himself (and a lot of his peers) massively off the hook here.

And this interview with Romola Garai. Him being a powertripping abusive creep to her in auditions when she was a teenager, and her thinking she had to put up with it. And then when she was in his film, him making the production crew starve her and steal food from her accommodation to stop her eating because she was “fat”

“Harvey’s behaviour was accepted but it was accepted because the industry knows that what people want to see on screen is women who are thin and beautiful with big tits and don’t say very much,” she said.

Also all the stuff about Rose McGowan being very outspoken about this for years, but unable to name him outright because of gagging orders and his rich powerful lawyers, and basically being dismissed as a crazy, overemotional bitch who won’t shut up or chill out and stop inconveniencing everyone.

This is wildly off-topic, but I had no idea there was a Dirty Dancing 2 starring Romola Garai, Diego Luna and John Slatterly, set on the cusp of the Cuban Revolution.

Me neither. I’m guessing it was not a huge success.

Patrick Swayze is in it!

Also, got to love how Hollywood works:

Havana Nights is based on an original screenplay by playwright and NPR host Peter Sagal, based on the real life experience of producer JoAnn Jansen, who lived in Cuba as a 15-year-old in 1958-59. Sagal wrote the screenplay, which he titled Cuba Mine, about a young American woman who witnessed the Cuban revolution and had a romance with a young Cuban revolutionary. The screenplay was to be a serious political romance story, documenting, among other stories, how the Cuban revolution transformed from idealism to terror. It was commissioned in 1992 by Lawrence Bender, who was rising to fame with his production of Quentin Tarantino’s Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction. The screenplay was bought by a film studio, which requested several rewrites before deciding not to produce the film. A decade later, Bender decided to make a Dirty Dancing sequel, and the film was very loosely adapted from Sagal’s script. Not a single line from Sagal’s original screenplay appears in the final film and Sagal says that the only remnants of the political theme that existed in his script is a scene wherein some people are executed.

23% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes.

Donna Karan defends Weinstein, suggests women 'asking for it’

what. the. fuck.

"Harvey left the room, but not for long. He re-emerged naked a couple of minutes later and asked if I would give him a massage…

…Weinstein allegedly “pleaded” with her to let him give her a massage, leaving her “terrified”, she wrote. “I shrugged Harvey’s hands off me, ran into the bathroom and locked the door. Harvey chased me, dick, balls and all, and banged on the door with his fists, pleading with me to come out.”

Eventually, Weinstein promised to put his clothes on, she wrote, and when she came out of the bathroom, he was allegedly crying and saying she rejected him because he was fat."

Jesus.

Not Harvey, but it reminded me of this

I can confirm it was not good

The wife and her bff are mad into that film.

Can’t compare to the first I’m afraid.

How did this guy get into such a position of power in Hollywood? Seems quite disappointing that none of the male actors who knew about it were prepared to speak off the record at any point.

What does a producer even do? Is it literally just rich white people who bankroll films? Never heard of this guy until last week.

Basically yeah, or not necessarily rich themselves but manage to get money out of financiers to get films made. He was an indie film producer until he got Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction made and became huge after that.

The is guy is a monster & the whole culture he created at his company to facilitate his sickness is just frightening in its calculation of abuse and power

This article is astonishing