Has anyone ever been to St Andrews or lived there?

Isn’t it just another bit of Edinburgh

My nights out all looked like this

FB_IMG_1582127340049

Only variation is if that was indie night or rock night and what drink was on offer.

2 Likes

No but I can see why you would think that due to it also being full of the English

1 Like

Fucksake wanted beeves from that

3 Likes

Your mistake was giving me an opening to be rude about Edinburgh

4 Likes

2 Likes

doughnut from fisher & donaldson
steak out of the steak barn

2 Likes

Bloody wish I was a Space Wolf

I was about to post a bad and incredibly nerdy joke here but I thought better of it.

That’s not like you

It would’ve got one pity-like from shucks. And sometimes that’s all I need, but this time I decided it wasn’t worth it.

2 Likes

I did google Njal Stormcaller though and got all nostalgic.

1 Like

Has anyone ever shortened St Andrews to Standys?

Shame if not.

the 'drew

No, sorry. Have a nice time, though!

Went to Uni there as well ('98-‘02). It genuinely didn’t seem that posh to me - yes, there was a very vocal and visible yah minority presence, but the vast majority of people I met were of a similar upper working/lower middle class background to me. That said, I did live in halls on the (slightly) scruffier outskirts of town for 3 out of my 4 years, and yahs are not usually known for studying astrophysics. My last year overlapped with Wills’ first, and the town noticeably changed overnight. Visited briefly again in 2018, and the place had somehow changed beyond all recognition yet remained painfully familiar. I got the impression its posh rick folk at play image is now well deserved.

The Keys was a dodgy AF Rangers pub when I was there (few students dared venture inside, and the threat of violence was always present) and now it’s gone all craft wank, and they’ve turned the bloody KFB into a funeral parlour! At least Ziggy’s was still there; they did the best cajun burger I’ve ever tasted.

For St Andrews fun, go putting at the Himalayas, visit the cathedral if you’re into that kind of thing, laugh at Butts Wynd and potter along the beaches, but don’t expect much more exciting than that. I love the place, but it’s definitely not for everyone. I doubt you can get a year-long student golf pass for all the courses bar Old and New for £90 any more…

1 Like

£1.40 for a steak pie supper and on my way home from the chemistry department. Oh no.

1 Like

Went to KFB pretty much every Friday night. Either pizza or a chicken kebab with chilli sauce instead of yoghurt for me, eaten leaning against the bridge for easy river disposal of the feathery bits :see_no_evil: then a quick trot up the hill to the all-night garage for some crisps. Sometimes used my swipe-card to get into the physics building on the way home, because the vending machine only charged 40 pee for Irn Bru.

Good times.

1 Like

Yeah loads of people, I’d say

Not that many really in the grand scheme