Has anyone ever just gone to an airport on the off chance of getting some sweet deal?

It’s not quite the same thing but my sister used to get free flights as she worked for Delta, if I remember rightly she’d just show up at the airport and they’d put her on standby (but switched on at the plug obviously).

You need to go to https://community.drownedinsound.com/c/social/whoclickedthislink and pick the unique link ID from the dropdown

4 Likes

So hilarious bants aside they never have any spare seats on my planes they would want to fill? Because I literally don’t care where it’s going, everywhere is awful anyway.

1 Like

Not my planes, I don’t own any

What’s your budget?

I’m sure I’ve heard that there is a period in which prices drop but I’ve never seen it for myself and any time I’ve searched for anywhere very last minute has never brought anything up.

No they’d rather they went empty than sold cheaply.

Like last minute train ticket you’re paying full whack, if you could turn up last minute and get cheap seats no one would bother booking

I could’ve used a better choice or words in a better order there.

If you wanted to waste some time you could find flights that say they only have one seat left and hope theyre overbooked and take the free hotel and vouchers. It’d be like gambling except really dull.

Fuck sake, yet more proof if any was needed that travelling is just a non-fun bunch of wank

There’s an overnight boat to the Netherlands, I don’t think that the price fluctuates and the train from Liverpool Street is covered in the price. I think you can just turn up. I think it’d be a nice trip, you’d have to pretend you were on a plane though.

Bloody travelling with it’s price like everything else

1 Like

Stepmum worked for Air France in the 90s, just an admin or HR job. We would pack for a hot country and then turn up at the airport and see what was available on stand-by. Got bumped to 1st class all the time too, it was great.

Tell that to the good folks at deed poll!

4 Likes

What would you do about accommodation? Must have been tricky pre-internet and all that.

Dunno about this but earlier today at the auto check-in there was a dude next to us who punched the touchscreen after it told him that his flight was overbooked and therefore wouldn’t print out his boarding pass

2 Likes

Best mate from college worked at Southampton Airport for Flybe. Would frequently just turn up on a Friday with hand luggage and ask him to send me somewhere for £50 or less. Great times. Would book a Monday flight home soon as I found whatever B&B I ended up in.

1 Like

Just walk into a place and get a room?

4 Likes

Would sort it on arrival - lot more literature/promotion for hotels was knocking about before the internet and they weren’t fussy about it being particularly nice accommodation.