has anyone had a better drum sound than Spoon?

I don’t think so

you can join me in posting examples of Jim Eno’s perfect drum sounds, or you can post other tracks by other artists with great drum sounds (even if they will be less good)

etc

6 Likes

Sounds decent but you’ll go some way to better the drumming of Dave Lombardo.

Or indeed whoever drummed for Can, great stuff.

2 Likes
6 Likes

“whoever drummed for Can”

c’mon dude, you can’t praise Jaki Liebezeit’s drumming and not know he was the dude

both solid examples of ace drummers (love how Dave only barely seemed in control, as if a horde of demons were clattering through a portal in his chest) although this is a thread about drum sound

also both pretty good drum sounds, fair

2 Likes

pure :heart:

I’ve only just got into Can and only know Tago Mago. Love the drumming on that and the whole sound they create.

Lombardo is incredible. Rick Rubin always looked for great drummers to produce and I like that he looks for an instrument that is often dumbed down.

1 Like

The first American Football record

5 Likes

These New Puritans on Hidden have an absolutely massive drum sound.

7 Likes

1 Like

I’ve decided this is the best Spoon song

2 Likes

Keeping my powder dry for Spoon HGATR but I am of the firm belief that it’s Who Makes Your Money.

3 Likes

So airy.

5 Likes

The first Factory Floor record where Gabe Guernsey plays around, between, under & over a Jomox X-base 09 and the whole record is produced by Stephen Morris (Joy Division/New Order) is some of the best sounding drums ever

5 Likes
2 Likes

You’ve heard Jonathan Fisk, right?

The spoon reissues from last year are available at a good price in the resident bargains section:

https://www.resident-music.com/collection&path=32326

1 Like

Nearly bought Transference on LP last week for that and ‘The Mystery Zone’ alone.

2 Likes

nice, i picked up the Telephono one for that price in Bending Sound only a few weeks after it came out

1 Like

Two words - Saint. Anger.

1 Like