Hauntology stuff

Very into the new concretism album (tellifusion) at the moment

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ykvX3y5LFuU

Clearly boards of canada influenced - apparently an ode to defunct TV technology. Anyway- feel free to use this thread for anything with hauntology vibes.

2 Likes

Starting reading Ghosts of my Life by Mark Fisher so I will probably be back in this thread soon

2 Likes

Should have said - there’s an excellent hauntology thread on the social board

1 Like

If you’re liking the Concretism record have you heard this one on the same label? Very similar vibes, they/he has a new one coming in a couple of months.

4 Likes

I have an idea rattling around in my head for a video essay about how Bad Moon Rising by Sonic Youth should be considered as a hauntology album

A recent release on Dis State by Dogs vs Shadows has very haunty vibes (he also does a podcast / radio show called Kites and Pylons which is dedicated to this sort of music you might want to check out)

And speaking of DS, could I also take the chance to JAG my latest here? It’s maybe more about the treatment of memory thematically than so much the more aesthetically hauntological elements

2 Likes

Love this album

1 Like

I’m not very confident defining Hauntology but one record I think fits into it is The Seasons with music by the Radiophonic Workshop’s David Cain unconventionally wedded to Ronald Duncan’s poetry. It’s a really beautiful record, I’m sure most people reading this will already be familiar with it. I came to it via an interest in Trunk records output, they reissued it and gave it a wider audience, I think Jarvis when he started on 6 used to kick a month off with the corresponding track. It was designed for use in school’s, do kids still do this sort of thing? As late as the early 90’s I remember flitting around a sparsely attended school gym using dance to interpret the sensation of being followed home on an Autumn evening, proggy synths from a boombox in the corner drowning out the squeak of plimsolls sliding on polished wood.

An appropriate choice (but October’s my favourite)

White swans and modest little boats follow her slowly,
Thus the Royal cortege goes down to the indifferent sea.
Her way is lonely

A good writeup of the record here

Pretty sure I came to it via an excellent episode of Jonny Trucks OST show that he did with Broadcast where they pick the music, it’s worth seeking out on mixcloud, an absolutely brilliant listen. There was a good one with David Cain himself too

3 Likes

No one is! Everyone seems to have a slightly different definition. For what it’s worth, I consider it’s stuff that evokes and/or reimagines half-remembered stuff from your childhood. And for me, that means the 80s. So musically, its woozy synths/simple melodies/mumbled public information/doc dialogue: that kind of thing. But it’s obviously very subjective!

And all interpretations welcome here.

1 Like

This vaguely rings a bell but I’ve definitely never heard it. Sounds wonderful, will check out asap.

1 Like

Yeah, I think my favourite thing about the term is the relative “spookiness” of it. I think for me, it’s a more subjective form of retrofuturism. So: rather than just looking back at how the past viewed the future; it’s kind of looking back at how the future and the wider world felt at that time.

So you get the melancholy of lost futures and what could have been; which feels particularly relevant (as you’ll see in Mark Fisher’s writing iirc) as “reality” is increasingly hemmed in by the logic of profits, the bottom line, etc. Also, as much as I like Fisher’s writing, there’s a component of grumbling about how telly is shit now but was proper weird in the 70s

2 Likes

I called Jonny Trunk Jonny Truck and now I’m absolutely haunted by that

1 Like

Just listening to this now. Pretty much the kind of strangeness that the term was made for, eh.

Reminds me of really weird old video game music as well – that sound in February that sounds like a sample being played at different speeds, reminds me of Earthbound or something

1 Like

Always like this weird intersection between electronic music and sort of an old-timey feel. I bet there was a Moog and a tape machine knocking about the Jacobean court

1 Like

Big, big fan of Specters of Marx

I really liked iirc, I think it’s in Retromania with Simon Reynolds’ acknowledging hip-hop as kind of the origin of a hauntological approach to making music. Sort of building a conceptual future of black empowerment out of snatches and fragments of past movies and music.

I’d not heard of Earthbound, watched a vid about it last night, I had a SNES in the mid 90’s and it entirely passed me by, looks like it would have been right up my street. I don’t play games much these days, well at all tbh, but I have a couple of pals that do, think they’d get a kick out of it. The score sounded lovely too.

I know what you mean, I hear that too, Cain was interested in Early Music and did a record with the Early Music Consort Of London, in the Trunk reissue liner notes he explains that he wrote the final track (The Year) then wrote a set of variations as they would have done in the Renaissance (his words, can’t claim I would have know what they did in the Renaissance music scene)

I listened to it today and still really enjoyed it, Cain’s tools were wave generators, tape machine, autoharp and a little drum, I think it’s incredible how he evokes the feel of each month. There’s a lot of effort taken with the whole thing by everyone involved for an LP sold directly to schools and colleges in very small numbers really. It’s a totally different way of doing things. They commissioned a couple of artists to do abstract oil paintings for each season that were reproduced as slides for you to buy and project on the walls/ceiling/kids during the classes while this was playing. Imagine being a teacher and running that class. Imagine being a kid in it.

As my brain is in a Radiophonic place I thought I’d post about Delia Derbyshire’s collaboration with Barry Bermange, description from the Radio Times prior to it’s original broadcast in 1964

Very spooky, I think it’s the use of repetition across it that make it feel so uncanny, the way fragments resurface, sometimes saying more. Sea is the one I find most interesting
my clothes were dragging me back…
…it was all around me this water, I didn’t like it…
…I must tell my muvvah

The whole thing is here

I seem to remember reading that this was one programme in a series but I don’t think I’ve ever come across any of the others.

Could be mistaken of course.

I’ve not heard the others yet but it looks like there were four, they all sound interesting
https://wikidelia.net/wiki/Inventions_for_Radio

hope this is real.