Hauntology stuff

I’ve made something to submit to it so I hope so lol

2 Likes

At the risk being incredibly obvious The Disintegration Loops by William Basinski really puts me in the hauntological headspace.

On the surface level there’s the reverby, decaying sound that be me recalls a skipping tape or vhs but also the kind of soft focus link to 9/11 (Basinki was working on them in NY during and watched from his building) alongside the album covers is really evocative of my memories of that time (as a 9 year old)

https://twitter.com/BritainCo/status/1705265725584089163?t=pzc8N9XwOCPU0tzXe4odJw&s=19

Just posted in the horror thread but might be better in here

6 Likes

I’ve held out against the whole cassette revival thing for years because I’m old enough to remember what a crap medium they were, but this may well make me reassess my resistance!

Heck of a lineup on that.

This arrived in the mail today. Excerpt from the inlay;

“The music and sound effects of Children of the Stones, and of The Changes, The Owl Service and Quatermass, scorched our young minds, as did the acoustic topography of a whole host of quietly terrifying public information films, many of which seem, almost by accident, to crystalise the recently coined notion of a culturally and temporally specific form of Folk Horror, born of the liminal lands between town and country, the world of the spirit of dark and lonely water.” - Stuart Lee

10 Likes