Have any of you ever changed career paths?

I don’t actually have one, but feel I’m already too old and stupid to change that.
Tell me about your experiences below.

No. Always been a retail lackey

Tell me more.

Admin to curriculum development management via hard work and promotions.

no i’m in too deep / too old to do anything else

i know technically you’re never to old to do something else and even if you’re 50 you can pack it in and decide to become a vet or whatever but in the real world you can’t

1 Like

Only about 3 times

1 Like

Fuck man that sounds like a bloody tough call to make, kudos

I don’t like to think of myself as having a career but I don’t have one so it’s easy.

I started it by doing another degree at OU, this time in physics, I finished it a couple of years ago with the intention of doing a phd but indecision and doubt etc etc have meant that I haven’t taken it any further. Although I did email a few people this week about some phds. I just can’t decide, I’ve been looking at everything from looking after rescue horses in Bulgaria to doing a masters in ecology, I have absolutely no experience in either.

I wouldn’t say I have a particular career path, but I managed to go from a job I disliked in a field I didn’t care about (admin drone at a pensions company) to a job I liked in a field I was interested in (debt and housing adviser at a Citizens Advice Bureau). Key factors:

• having a sort-of “spark” of interest - for a good three or four years I had absolutely no idea what to do with my life, and then I saw an advert for a free debt advice centre and just thought “yep, I’d like to do that”
  • volunteering - I worked as a volunteer debt adviser and administrator for about 18 months before getting a paid role
  • flexible working - I did the volunteering one day a week and did a slightly reduced week of work compressed into four days.

You seem like a really bright spark, and you’re, what, 27? You’ve got decades ahead and you’re definitely not too old to do this.

Broke off a potentially lucrative career progression path at the bowling alley to play a football management simulator for money.

Did you ever play a haunted fortune telling machine in a creepy carnival by any chance?

@discobot fortune

:crystal_ball: Without a doubt

1 Like

Well I’ve sort of had cursory look at social research masters so what are they like, and are they actually worth having?

Don’t you get involved you tin can cunt

No.

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @discobot display help.

3 Likes

He’s done you there, Ruffers

5 Likes

My old boss had changed once, he’d been a social worker, then he did one of those computer science conversion courses to do IT stuff. He hated it and told me that it’s never too late to change and he would probably do it again. A few months later he did, he’s now a psychiatric nurse. He’s about 50 i think.

I need to do this. I NEED to do this. To what though. To what.

My current plan is to move up to Senior Management and max out on transferable skills which may prove a hellish way of doing things.