Have we had a 'ladies and gentlemen, I give you DiS hero Michel Roux' thread yet?

So he’s gonna pay them in arrears to bring them up to minimum wage? What a hero.

Is it a good idea to ask them to take off the “optional” service charge and tip the waiter directly? Will consider doing this from now on. Have always worried that the money isn’t going to the waiting staff. I don’t expect/want to tip the owners or the kitchen.

Though the issue of tipping the waiters probably isn’t as pressing at a high end restaurant where the waiters likely aren’t working three jobs to get by.

Where are we on the opinion of Junior Roux then? This thread is all over the place. I can’t be seen to be out of line with the DiS Whip on this.

What about the poor bastards who do the washing up, like I used to do?

Tipping is stupid.

Convention, I guess. I just think that generally when you tip, you’re doing it for the service. Don’t have much of an objection to it going to other staff but I’ll be fucked off if it’s an extra 15% to the restaurant’s coffers.

1 Like

Who? Related to Solomon thing?

I’ve worked at a restaurant where the FoH staff have a lower base pay (above min. wage) than the kitchen staff but keep all tips, and another where every member of staff is on the same payscale and the tips were pooled and split. Either of these models are fine imo

1 Like

Yeah, our tips were pooled and dished out to all staff based on number of shifts.

Still stupid though,

Think it’s stupid where it’s compulsory, and completely immoral when it’s used to bring salaries over the minimum wage (the reason you’ll get staff chasing after you if you don’t tip in the US)… But, otherwise, what’s stupid with giving a few extra quid to the person who made your evening that bit better by not being a shithouse?

I have stopped tipping and now offer to buy the person serving me a side dish or main meal (depending on cost).

1 Like

“and whatever you are having”

2 Likes

Would you give extra cash to a shop assistant was pleasant and helpful?

I often send cheques into call centres

1 Like

This is good, expensive stuff is way easier to boycott.

Yeah, exactly what I say to them! Or I point at the menu and say ‘…and you can pick one of these for yourself’

Well in theory, if they spent like an hour and a half looking after me, I’d be happy to. But there’s not really any mechanism to do so by, except the covert handshake tip because it rarely happens. They just put your crap through the till and I ain’ tippin’ fo’ that shit.

Would you allow a waiter and a sommelier to have a shared starter such as a baked camembert or platter?

I very much doubt that would be in the £5 range but if it was then I do not see why not.