Have you ever been talked into going to a gig? How did it go?

Got talked into seeing Calexico and Iron and Wine in Manchester despite not having heard a note by either act. I got drunk and can’t remember a thing about either act.

1 Like

Once was in a choir that was part of their performance at Coventry Cathedral. One of the best things I’ve ever done. Sang two notes during the entire performance, so I can say that my range is at least twice that of a bee.

3 Likes

I imagine this being a much better setting for it tbf. Don’t remember there being a choir unless that was the bees.

This makes me sad because every Carter USM show I’ve been to has been an utterly joyous affair. But each to their own.

Also, this has never happened to me. I don’t like it. When I hit the festivals with my mates, I’m the one who’s done his homework and knows exactly who he wants to see. I then get really self-conscious as they follow me around, seeing all the same acts, knowing full well that some of them won’t be their cup of tea.

2 Likes

Yeah loads, I’ll watch any old shit. Usually have a nice time but am always more aware of how much it cost (such as the time we had to scalp tickets for Grizzly Bear on the Veckatimest tour and they were really dull).

1 Like

A bunch of mates joined me to see Fever Ray on her first album at the Electric Picnic. I had a great time, they were a bit confused.

1 Like

Gigs are fine, I’ll watch anything. It is a social occasion as much as anything else. If it has been £££ or required a lot of travel I am fine just noping out, but that isn’t so much the music. The only one I’ve needed persuading and was rather hesitant was a classical concert, by my Dad. He has been on about it for years being a big classical buff but I am just not really interested. Partly as his idea was to ease me in with rather light classical, so I had to push and suggest that something a bit “heavy” might actually suit me better. In the end I felt it was an experience worth doing, I wasn’t buying the tickets, and maybe it would be a rather deep and immersive thing. The big sound of a full orchestra. A world class pianist. Rachmaninov. But it was just a bit… OK. All a bit formal, it wasn’t the big aural experience I thought it could be, rather quiet and dull for long periods. Interval drinks came along and I really couldn’t be arsed with any more.

Yep. My mate talked me into going to a Skins season launch gig in the old Firestation in Bristol featuring 2 Door Cinema Club (not a fan) and a the Cheek (formerly known as Cheeky Cheek and the Nosebleeds - also not a fan). We were the oldest there by at least 10 years

Same mate talked me into a local bands night in the Louisiana. Turned up to find it was a girls 18th birthday party and we were likely the only mugs who had paid to be there. We were the oldest by at least 12 years

2 Likes

It’s usually me dragging others along, the best one I can think where I had to persuade a lot of people was Monotonix in a tiny bar where they caused absolute chaos. Felt like a cool fucker that night cus everyone thanked me so much for bringing them.

My wife talked me into seeing Erasure at Electric Picnic one year when I was probably at my snobbiest musically. “Why would I want to see some 80s pop shit?” Because it was banger after banger after banger that’s why, you idiot.

I think I kind of talked myself into one in that I organised for us to go see Regina Spector in Dublin because my wife loves her. Up until then I couldn’t really stand her (my wife I mean! Ba-dum-tish) but she won me over that night, beautiful concert.

1 Like

My brother talked me into The War on Drugs circa Lost in the Dream or whatever it’s called. I was bored stiff. Can only take so much motorik heartland jean jacket rock while standing up. I like them well enough on record, though.

I have a friend who is pretty much up for anything, even though my taste is mostly for noisy / experimental / not-bloody-music stuff. He only knows any of this stuff through me, but he doesn’t even need to be talked into it, I just say “going to a gig on Thursday, feel like coming along?” and he’s sold. The first two were Kevin Drumm at Cafe OTO and Hijokaidan at Tusk Festival, and if he can handle that he can handle anything.

2 Likes

A. I forgot that the old firestation had live music. It will always be Cafe blue in my mind.
B. I didn’t know that anyone in the world outside of Norfolk had seen the cheek/ cheeky cheeky and the nosebleeds.

I find that behaviour very strange…trying to persuade people to go to gigs…maybe I’m used to going solo as is 75% of my gig going experience. Of course I prefer going with friends but only if I know they like the music. It must be awful being there knowing you’re partly responsible for your friend’s enjoyment. You will enjoy it less as you’ll be slightly aware of your friend standing there cross armed checking his watch and you will in turn then be less involved in the gig and perhaps irrationally irritated at the friend’s response. Maybe its an introvert/extrovert thing though.

2 Likes

This is verbatim my experience…haha…the minor travails of being a music nerd

1 Like