• No
  • Can’t remember

0 voters

Yes

Earliest waistcoat memory: first communion
Latest waistcoat memory: friend’s wedding a few years ago

1 Like

Yeah

Earliest memory: Christmas day, 199…5 maybe. Brother and I got them as kids when we got a snooker table (not a proper one obviously, out of Argos iirc) and parents dressed us up for the occasion. 28 years old etc.

Last memory: wedding (remember them) pre lockdown as it’s part of my suit

4 Likes

That’s adorable! Top parenting

2 Likes

Yeah it was to be fair, some good photos of us, bow ties and everything. Table lasted for years too, I think it’s under my bed at my parents still.

Have also just got to the no more jockeys Xmas specials so I know what your username is from!

2 Likes

I remember wearing one with no shirt on under cause I wanted to look like the guitarist from Sweet, as I assume every kid in the mid 90s in Yorkshire did

Should be called rib coats really too

I reckon I know where your username is from too

5 Likes

I have one as part of my kilt outfit.

I also had one I wore to a fancy dress party as a member of Status Quo.

In Australia and I think the US (@NeilYoung @xcheopis ?) they call them a ‘vest’ which I find very confusing as a terminology.

Here in Aus they also use vest to describe similar clothing, e.g. a body warmer / gilet.

1 Like

Yeah I had to look up what a waistcoat was, definitely called a vest here.

1 Like

This is what we call a vest

We have a not so nice southern slang term for those here.

1 Like

Yep. Most Americans use vest. I’ve only heard ‘waistcoat’ in relation to old-timey clothes.

It’s not even really covering your waist at all is it? Interesting terminology.

2 Likes

Waste of a coat…

Why did I bother typing this at 6.30 on a Thursday morning? What have I become?

2 Likes

Wear then all the time, great bunch of clothing. When I’m teaching I like to wave my arms about so they’re much more comfortable for wild gesticulating than a jacket but they’ve also got pockets for biros and board markers etc.

I think they’re seen as being posh but they don’t have to be part of a three piece fancy wedding suit, you can get separates.

I think if you’re in an environment where you should wear a suit or look ‘smart’ they are useful to have available depending on how well airconditioned/heated your workplace is. The first office my company had there were a lot of the guys who’d wear a 3 piece suit because it was so hard to judge how cold it would get over the winter months.

1 Like

It is I think. It should come down to cover the tops of your hips so it’s a coat for your waist!!!