Melville
Bolano
Ballard
Conrad
Fitzgerald
Nathanael West
Goethe

1 Like

Junot Diaz probably… I just wish he’d written a bit more!

George Orwell, Úrsula le guin, Tolkien, Tolstoy.

This thread is making me feel quite poorly read!

On the flip side plenty of repeated names that I should really investigate

Quite enjoyed this one too actually - I bought it while working in a bookshop after a period of unemployment so it was the perfect time to read it really.

1 Like

There’s a period of time when Martin Amis, as a writer of fiction, was just unbelievable. ‘Money’ and ‘London Fields’ are both fabulous books.

2 Likes

4 Likes

3 Likes

5 Likes

That’s an amazing cover.

1 Like

Vladimir Nabokov

Nope. I have a favourite book (‘house of Leaves’) but I haven’t really enjoyed the other things that danielewski has written

Roberto Bolano!!

2 Likes

Probably Pynchon; he has everything I love about post-modernism without (or at least with much less of) the feeling I sometimes get with some post-modernist writers that they’re just lecturing me on how stupid everybody is.

Took me bloody ages to find a decent one. So many of her books have terrible covers that don’t relate to the story whatsoever.

I know she gets really worked up about covers that make all the characters white, when she specifically writes many of her protagonists to not be.

reading this now (y)
look how many great looking versions there are
https://www.google.nl/search?q=left+hand+of+darkness&rlz=1CATAAB_enNL659NL659&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiO57eHxoHXAhWHQBoKHdz2CXQQ_AUICigB&biw=1745&bih=878#imgrc=DLllLT-VoCf3JM:
i’ve got the 2nd one

also read the lathe of heaven the other week and it’s bloody amazing

EDIT lol posted this before i saw your reply

Le Guin and Anne McCaffrey were on my to read list at the school library. But there were so many K Dicks and Ballards to read first. I’ve heard nothing but good things about their work.

Love the Borges cover. As if Kadinsky was asked to design the sets for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.