Have you quit Spotify?

Tidal seems good but lastfm is a mess if you scrobble a song with more than one artist.

Apple looks like it has less stuff missing than tidal (missing stuff that I like anyway). Would be interested in your apple music on Android experience. Let me know!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CZSF0equKU4/?utm_medium=copy_link

And Tidal has “Sleater Kinney” rather than “Sleater-Kinney” somehow, but Last.fm autocorrects that.

Going to cancel spotify tonight once I have another app set up for podcasts.

i use it on an Android. slightly glitchy now and then when trying to download something for offline listening, often the ones i really want to download immediately as i’m leaving the house will fuck up and won’t show as added to my library to download, but when you check back later it’s usually sorted itself out. mostly works alright otherwise. used to have some buffering problems but not much recently.

1 Like

Might have been mentioned upthread but I didn’t realise Tidal were introducing that thing where your money only goes to the artists you stream, and not in a big pool. This is enough to get me to try it for a bit I think.

Edit: though just seems to be the more expensive tier at the moment

2 Likes

The videos from the launch were weird

Still are actually

2 Likes

Yeah it got off on the wrong foot but that was years ago now so I think they learned their lesson with the bad PR.

I have a free account which I don’t use, have a qobuz account to check out things i might want to buy but would be better off buying a random cd or 2 each month

Blows my mind that the industry standard for streaming is to pool royalties. Definitely considering Tidal after seeing this.

2 Likes

Does Tidal have a “Release Radar” equivalent?

Joni Mitchell too

8 Likes

Was reading about this and seems a step in the right direction but still more of a gesture then anything meaningful at the moment.

The company who it’s in partnership had a huge investment from Spotify also, although they have now sold off some of that.

Didn’t know where to post this but felt it was related to some of the content in this thread. I’ve been a big fan of the Castles in Space stuff so it was really disappointing to see this tweet from Hattie Cooke:

One of the best releases on that label too. They’re certainly getting no more money from me.

Sadly not, no. One of the things I still miss about Spotify since leaving.

Neither does Apple Music as far as I can tell.

Joni Mitchell is so influential there’s surely going to be a lot more artists joining her, I can’t really see how Spotify can not play ball now. I’m probably going to give Deezer a go, catalogue is better than Tidal and I just don’t like the apple interface.

As much as I admire Young and Mitchell taking a stand, I’m afraid it will make little difference. Their listeners are generally going to be older people and Spotify won’t care. It’s only when the likes of Sheeran, Drake and Swift start pulling their music that they’ll pay attention.

10 Likes

That’s a shame. The threads are good on here of course, but that helps with discovering artists I haven’t listened to before rather than those I have.

I think it was mentioned earlier, but are the playlist migration sites actually any good?

I migrated a bunch from Spotify to Tidal, and it mostly did okay. Probably 3 or so missing each time I did a playlist of about 60ish tracks.

It also tended to match to single release versions of songs, rather than album versions, which was disappointing but not the end of the world. I’ve jacked Tidal in for Apple Music now and in all honesty kind of prefer AM.

Only tried playlist exporting once going from Spotify to Apple Music and had much the same result. All my playlists are already in AM because I mostly use iTunes anyway. Streaming services were always just ways for me to check out new stuff rather than the main place I listen to music.

Overall I’d say Spotify is best for new music recommendations by far, but it’s not enough to keep me giving money to the bastards.