Have you quit Spotify?

Dunno how it compares in term of library, nitrate, payments to artists etc but YouTube Music also means you get no ads on YouTube which made me choose that over other services

A podcast free Spotify sounds like an upgrade to me :slight_smile: :+1:

5 Likes

Yeah, Tidal algorithm is so good

1 Like

Yep, that’s what I’m on. I watch so much YouTube content that it was a no brainer.

1 Like

It is possible to make a stand. The band Cardiacs took their music off Spotify, but left it on all other streaming services. I realise this is probably much harder when you’re a current band on a big label.

Apple Music has a very annoying habit of changing tags and messing up the library. Tom Waits released some 2023 remasters recently so the albums I had already saved in my library partly updated to the 2023 version, but also some tracks were replaced with appearances on random compilations or retagged with another artist entirely who happened to have a song with the same title so I had to trawl through my library to find where all the Rain Dogs tracks had disappeared to and retag them.

This happens about once a month or whenever I notice it while browsing or looking for something specific and is pretty annoying considering that the flexibility in tagging and organising is one of the things I really like about the service

1 Like

That sounds very annoying. Not something I see often on Spotify but occasionally - particularly annoying was they switched out a Danny Brown track I had saved in multiple shortlists for a clean version, which I can’t even find when searching for the track or album, still come across it every now and then when I hit an old playlist.

lol, it’s even worse than previously thought. it’s gone from ‘get 1,000 streams!’ to ‘get 1,000 streams each year for each song you want to be paid out for, but the streams have to be global, so your mates can’t just stream it for you, and also we’re not paying you for the initial 1,000 streams, just whatever comes after that’.

4 Likes

Do they define the ‘globally’ element? Do you have to hit a minimum number of countries/continents?

Congrtatulations on 10 millions streams! However you didn’t hit the required number of streams in Antartica so unfortunately we will pay you nothing.

6 Likes

no, they’ve not defined it, but everytime I’ve uploaded there, ‘globally’ usually means it has to be from more than one country. still, nice and vague so they can probably change what it means later anyway.

3 Likes

Fuck these assholes, time to take my music off the service I think. It’ll make absolutely zero difference, but I’ll feel much better about myself.

3 Likes

yeah, i’ve started to remove stuff that’s under the threshold too as it’s one thing to not be paid for something, but a whole other thing to pay someone else off my work.

3 Likes

Its a non negligible amount of artists that I enjoy who get under 1000 a month. Including some of my favorites. You would think a play should be worth the same regardless of the size or international nature of the artist

6 Likes

yeah, absolutely! some of my satan stuff gets big numbers, but some (especially my other projects) are so far off 1,000 it’s laughable, so there’s just zero point having them on there.

3 Likes

The global aspect is going to aggressively punish non English/Spanish speaking artists as well

11 Likes

It’s also a lot (5x) higher a threshold than was estimated above (17 tracks a month/200 streams). So I wonder what percent of artists they’re really cutting off here. They said the bottom 0.5 percent (that was supposedly meant to represent mainly streaming fraud), but I reckon it must be a way higher proportion of artists than that. Also feel with a 1000 stream limit per track, small artists could be racking up quite a significant number of streams without ever getting paid a penny. And presumably it’s going to be fairly easy to set bots up to stream tracks at least 1000 times in order to commit streaming fraud anyway. Piss poor.

5 Likes

Its going to push smaller acts to have to churn out more music more regularly to get the bump from new releases. Which in the long term is just going to oversaturate and damage them

Cannot fathom how this is supposed to have any real effect considering any “streaming fraud” I’ve ever been aware of has been groups set up to stream music to hit lots of plays :person_shrugging:

1 Like

Sadly YouTube music has the worst royalty rate of all the big streaming sites. They make Spotify look generous.

2 Likes