Have you watched any Christmas films yet

I mentioned above, it’s one of my childhood favourites, I watched the first two last weekend, and yesterday we watched the third one (The Escape Clause) which is also excellent, features Martin Short hamming it up.

Sally Fields is not in any of them though.

1 Like

That the Jason Bateman one? I like all those kind of comedies, definitely watchable.

In a similar vibe, I really enjoyed The Night Before, the Seth Rogen / JGL comedy.

2 Likes

omg I fully believed that Sally Field played his ex wife. what the fuck. are my memories fake? am I a replicant? this is hugely distressing

Cheers. I might watch it tomorrow.

Yeah, I like those types of films too. Game Night was brilliant and the first Horrible Bosses and Meet The Millers were pretty good.

I’ve come to the conclusion that Jennifer Aniston films aren’t as bad as I think they would be. I saw Dumplin’ a few nights ago and really liked that.

1 Like

Weirdly, I was joking with Mrs HYG when watching the third one how stupid it was that they had to get a different actor to play the ex-wife in each of the three films then she looked it up AND ITS THE SAME ACTOR IN EACH ONE. She looks totally different in each film though. She does look a bit like Sally Fields in the first one tbf.

1 Like

I don’t know if there’s a connection between those films, they’re not Apatow films are they? Kind of post-Apatow ensemble comedies, but yeah, all of those, love them all. Jason Sudekis, Jason Bateman, Jennifer Anniston, sign me up.

2 Likes

Yeah. I don’t think they’re Apatow films but the chemistry between those actors just sort of works. You know what sort of comedy you’re going to get and it’s a fun way of spending a few hours’ viewing.

1 Like

Maybe it’s because Big Sal played the character of “90s ex wife who could maybe just get off her weird toxic ex-husband’s back once in a while and let him see the damn kids” in Mrs Doubtfire.

Oh now I’m thinking about this the parallels between the two films are so strange. Both the cross divorced dads work in industries where kids are the target consumer, both transform into seemingly harmless elderly people who are safe with children. Main difference tho is that Robin Williams gets away with it because he’s likeable who everybody likes irl, whereas Tim Allen is a weird dick who is a known weapon irl.

1 Like

That is a good parallel!

Tim Allen was always popular in our house because of Home Improvement, we were a family of three boys like they were so my mum really liked it. Then he was Buzz Lightyear. Didn’t realise for years he was a right wing boozehound.

I remember being quite amused to find out that Woody’s actor was America’s friendly uncle who everybody loves, while Buzz was America’s weird obnoxious uncle who you only see at funerals and it’s awkward.

1 Like

A man whose catchphrase is literally just grunting