Have yours and your partners parents met?

My brother is WELL into this with my parents and his gfs parents. Apparently they all do dinner together regularly!

I thought my dad would certainly not be into this but I haven’t heard any stories to come of it yet.

I find this a bit odd.

1 Like

nope, never. and the idea of it utterly fills me with dread but thankfully will probably never happen.

4 Likes

My mum and dad are meeting the missuses mum on saturday.

Will be fine

BUT WHY

Yes, once. Her Dad lives in Uganda so the opportunity for it to happen was very limited so we hastily arranged a bbq at ours when he was over here a couple of years back, details here:

Aren’t you married?
The only scenario I could think of was at the wedding? At no point before this would I have a reason for them to mingle.

Both at the same event. Probably better than meeting each other at the wedding.

yeah but she’s american. we had a US wedding and a UK wedding party. her parents are seperated and seemingly have no interest in coming here to visit, and my dad is the most awkward person alive.

Do you mean they’ve met once in the past or once because they’re meeting right now?

The former

Very well played Eric.

1 Like

Bit of a cultural thing as well btw Meo, I kind of think/thought “what’s the point” a bit but it’s a perfectly normal and, frankly, required thing amongst my gf’s family. I’ve visited her brother’s wife’s parents place a few times, have been introduced to her cousin’s gf’s parents etc etc. It’s very alien to me though.

why are dads so fucking awkward

5 Likes

they’re very different kinds of people. They’ve met a couple of times but have never really had a proper conversation - just got enough of a glimmer so that the simmering judgements and insecurities towards each other that made arranging a proper meeting feel awkward have started to boil away nicely on their own anyway.

1 Like

My dad isn’t awkward but you just worry what inappropriate thing is going to come out of his mouth.

My Dad said a thing that broke my fucking heart on Friday, we were in the playpark with my little niece and nephew and my nephew did that thing where he just made a mate with some other kid (fucking zero chill about it though, he literally yelled “IT’S A BIGGER BOY AND HE’S MY BEST FRIEND!” at us) my Dad told me how relieved he was as last time he took him to the park my nephew got scared and started yelling “PEOPLE!” in an equivalent way to how you’d shout “SHARK!” or something and my Dad said he was dead worried that he’d inherited his own awkwardness and fear of social interaction and it made me properly sad and I didn’t really know how to respond to it as he literally never, ever says things like that.

5 Likes

Yeah, they have met - we’ve had everyone around at ours for lunch and stuff numerous times.

They get on fine, I think.

They don’t hang out with each other outside of that though.

What’s your Aunties name?

She sounds like an Auntie Val to me

Yes.

We’ve been together for… something like 14 years so obviously they have.

My mum and mr pn’s mum go to the cinema together every week.

Our families go for a Boxing Day pub lunch together every year.

We’ll all be going out together next weekend several times too.

It’s… fine.

2 Likes

I mean even some DiSers have met my parents.