(Haven't read much) fiction...

Instigating post here.

Loads of other people haven’t read much fiction, either. Have just tended to read magazines, non-fiction and, y’know, internet. Nothing special or unique about that. Thread’s just a bit of fun and something to do innit.

Anyway these are the fiction books I can remember finishing:

Early years

Secret Seven, Famous Five, various Choose your Own Adventures. School stuff, obv. Some others from the mobile library that came round, etc. That sort of thing.

Tweens/early teens

• My Pal Spadger by Bill Naughton
  • BMX-ers Battle It Out by Caroline
  • Teenage Health Freak series by Aidan Macfarlane & Ann McPherson
  • Tight Corners by William Vivian Butler
  • Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton

Late teens

• Dependence Day by Robert Newman
  • Walking On Glass by Iain Banks
  • The Comforts Of Madness by Paul Sayer
  • Maribou Stork Nightmares by Irvine Welsh

While at university

• 1984 by George Orwell
  • Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess

Twenties

• The Alchemist by Paul Cohelo
  • Filth by Irvine Welsh
  • number9dream by David Mitchell
  • Eunoia by Christian Bök
  • The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-Time by Mark Haddon

Thirties

• The Outsider by Albert Camus
  • One Day In The Life Of Ivan Denisovitch by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

I might add a few comments/bits of background info about each one as time allows.

Maybe add your own list, in the meantime, if it’s also similarly short, if you want.

Thoughts/feelings/character assassinations/psychological assessments?

1 Like

Yes, there is a notable skew toward male authors. But is it a notably blokey list? Dunno. Maybe.

Was just reading about how men are only 20% of the audience for literary fiction.

Quite wild how we romanticise the tortured male writer/reader when they plainly barely exist anymore. I blame videogames.

7 Likes

I haven’t read a book for at least 15 years

She’s wrong about ursula le guin not being literary fiction imo

9 Likes

What would you consider to be the ‘top five fiction books you’ve read’ ?

What drew you to One Day In The Life Of Ivan Denisovitch over the superior Kolyma Tales ?

Have you read (m)any short stories of fiction?

1 Like

not read much ksr but all of those authors are doing literature i reckon. not the main point of the piece but that para is just straight genre-fiction-has-no-artistic-merit nonsense.

3 Likes

I’ve just checked my last amazon purchase year (2018) and that’s got 8 kindle fiction books on it. That doesn’t include a couple of charity shop pickups I’d have read too.

It’s all sci fi, two by Nnedi Okorafor, three each by Ann Leckie and N. K. Jemisin

I reckon a fiction book a month is probably about what I’m on these days. And that’s a lot lower than it used to be. I remember Arthur C Clarke saying that he read a book a day and thinking I’d struggle to do one per week but probably wasn’t far off that at points.

4 Likes

Give me a novel with disappointment as a central theme and I’m a happy camper

If a camper can truly be happy

4 Likes

I’m an English teacher so i spend a lot of my life trying to encourage teenagers to read books. With mixed success.

I have no problem at all with adults who find that reading fiction/ novels/ whatever isn’t for them. We all have different tastes / hobbies. I do take issue with a few people I’ve met who seem weirdly proud of the fact they don’t read.

It’s a bit like that weird phenomenon where people somehow seem to boast about how bad they are at maths, like it’s some impressive character trait. Don’t get that either.

6 Likes

did you enjoy reading any of the books wz?

1 Like

My hobby is stealing/ buying books from pubs that have shelves of remaindered books as decoration. This is my current book. It’s from the 1930s and i love it.

9 Likes

I’ve read a few

No wonder you were put off reading for life

7 Likes

I studied English at a university of note, now I basically only read Jack Reacher thrillers and hooky PDFs of conspiracy theory texts

3 Likes

Last fiction book I read was ‘Pride & Prejudice’. It was great! Probably the only one I’ve read in two or three years though since I finished ‘Something Wicked This Way Comes’ by Ray Bradbury.

I just exist on a steady diet of books about music these days, have done for years and years.

Favourite works of fiction:
‘Galapagos’ by Kurt Vonnegut
‘Pride & Prejudice’ by Jane Austen
‘Infinite Jest’ by David Foster Wallace
‘Guards, Guards’ by Terry Pratchett
‘Tales From The Mos Eiseley Cantina’ edited by Kevin J. Anderson

They’re the ones that left the biggest impact on me anyway.

This Post Paid For By PROF$

1 Like

Alright Sinatra

4 Likes