Heating 2018/19 edition

I’ve had it on briefly a few times - and then instantly regretted it / been too hot / too stuffy

Where’s the option for “underfloor heating supplied by a centralised heating and hot water facility”?

2 Likes

you need a dehumidifier in your life

game changer

5 Likes

so jel

1 Like

indoors hat

:smile:

As with nearly every other aspect of my life at the minute, such a purchase is “on hold until we know what is happening with the new flat”

It’s come on twice through the night without me wanting it to! Not sure how this has happened seeing as I live alone, but it’s made me really angry because even in the depths of winter I don’t have it on after bedtime and it’s ruined my run of next to no gas usage for the last 6 months or whatever.

I have just installed that foil stuff behind several radiators and I’ve finally put some extra sealing stuff in the windows that have broken seals so I’m pleased with that but I didn’t buy enough and the last lot took 4 weeks to arrive.

just get one and take it with you to the new flat

My flat never gets hot at all. If it’s a heatwave outside and the tarmac on the road is melting I wouldn’t have a clue.

My housemates have switched it on a few times. Found it really annoying cos it’s not really been cold so far, and because of both that and because my room is teeny, it gets absolutely roasting and I have to open the window full to cool it down. Turned my radiator off now.

Also one time when I came home late and found it on and the house empty. I was proper raging.

Storage heaters are really bad for your health.

My allergies cleared up by about 90% when i replaced them with electric heaters and got rid of the fucking stupid fan heaters we had as well.

You have my sympathies! (although I hate an overly hot living space, it would be nice to save some cash on our bills, and of course not be burning through fossil fuels).

Conversely to this, once when I lived with a maniac it was absolutely freezing and my mate came over for a cup of tea and a chat. Didn’t put the heating on because we had a tiny little electric heater thing in the living room so I put that on whilst we had a tea and sat next to it. My housemate came downstairs, stepped over my mate to reach the heater, switched it off without saying anything, then went back to her room.

2 Likes

Pair of these bad boys

https://heatholders.co.uk/ladies-ankle-slipper-socks-805

Got @colon_closed_bracket a pair for DiS Secret Santa last year too and I’ve just bought the TV three pairs for his birthday

3 Likes

Almost impressive levels of housesharing aggression.

2 Likes

I’ve not even turned the boiler/emersion on this year. Over £400 a year to wash the bloody pots. Fuck that. Boil the kettle.

What does the last sentence mean? Is cross ventilation bad?

Heating in my home office has gone on today, was hoping I’d be able to stick it out until I got back from working abroad in mid-November but I caved

Ours is ‘on’ all the time in as much as it’s set to 18C for an hour or two in the morning and again in the evening. If it’s cold enough, it comes on. Defo kicked in a few times this autumn. Never really got the big TURNING THE HEATING on thing.