Heavy music like Big Brave?

Hey folks, looking for some recommendations. I’m not really much of a heavy music guy these days, I find a lot of black/heavy/etc. metal really offputting, mostly from the vocal perspective. But I do still like stuff that sits a little adjacent to it. So stuff like Chelsea Wolfe and Emma Ruth Rundle drew me back in. Recently really liked the King Woman album.

But the one that has really caught my ear is Big Brave. Big crushing metal, with relatively normal vocals on the top. I love it. I think it’s the vocals that put me off so much metal. Guttural growls and especially black metal screamy horribleness just immediately put me off. I’m looking at you, The Body!

Any other bands / artists I might like in the vein of Big Brave?

3 Likes

Kowloon Walled City

5 Likes

Oooh. Hoping this thread will yield lots of new music for me too.

While not exactly like Big Brave, I’ve been loving Amenra (who sadly just cancelled their UK tour next week). Slow, crushing riffs, deep atmospherics, not overly abrasive vocal style (well, a mixture of shouted and sung).

6 Likes

not crushing metal but heavy punky type

maybe Kylesa?

4 Likes

an old amrep band but a good one!

2 Likes

Windhand - Crypt Key

Don’t know Big Brave but this is slow, crushing doom metal with the melodic twists of, say, smashing pumpkins but with a better singer.

The whole of their ‘Griefs Infernal Flower’ is pretty much in this vein.

4 Likes
2 Likes

These sound close I reckon;

2 Likes
4 Likes

Earlier Swans is mosly what Big Brave (I LOVE Big Brave) remind me of.

Early AC Temple too.

Still has some of the usual CoL roars but also a lot of Julie Christmas’s great voice. Superb album.

3 Likes

Helms Alee?

Harvey Milk are the best

3 Likes

Whores., maybe??

2 Likes

How bouts some Bummer

Jesu?

Very heavy but very pretty shoegaze / metal, with a clean vocal.

3 Likes

Continuing my theme of old bands (which is probably not what is desired here), I shall say God Machine.

4 Likes

They were soooo good. That first album shaped my taste in music.

3 Likes

Yeah, they were an amazing band recorded or live. RPS was a super positive influence in the London DIY scene for a while after GM too.

Really great band.

2 Likes

I love this album, it’s not so heavy, but I always find this song pretty crushing.