Help me educate some Scandi teens on US police shootings, civil rights movement etc

Hi gang!

I’m making a kind of study guide for some Norwegian college students (approx. 15–18 years old) about a film and the issues it raises. It’s called The Hate U Give and is based on a novel of the same name (wiki link to follow). I haven’t actually seen the film as they didn’t have a screener (lol), but it’s about an African American teenage girl witnessing a friend being shot by white police. I’m making questions and discussion points for a few different subjects, so any suggestions you might have can be related to e.g. history, English, social studies, politics, etc.

I am a white Norwegian who has never been to the US, and even though I try to stay up to date on this kind of thing through social media etc. I thought I’d check in with my pals on DiS to see if you have any input. Obviously most of you will also have no first-hand experience of US police brutality and the like, but if I can just get suggestions from a range of different people I figured it’ll be more likely to be as relevant and objective as I personally can possibly get.

They’ll want some background information to research before watching the film, so I want to have them read about Trayvon Martin and Black Lives Matter (just need to find some good and informative articles in Norwegian) for a start. Afterwards they can read up more on the history of the Civil Rights movement in the US, maybe look at the first few cases of black students in previously all-white schools in the States as that was pretty harrowing at times. They could also discuss the differences to our own police force who are normally not armed, and look at the pros and cons of both approaches and look at what the different alternatives really mean (not making it out as if our police are perfect, btw).

What else? Feel free to link me to good articles in English that might be good for teenagers as well, as they can use that in English class.

I also need to get some more technical film questions in there even though I’ve not seen the film, but I’m sure I can manage that part on my own (unless someone here has actually seen it, in which case I’d be grateful for any pointers).

I have seen that film, hit me up with questions.

1 Like

I can find fairly detailed plot descriptions online, but did you find there were any interesting technical or narrative filmmaking choices they had made, that I could have the students discuss? Good or bad, doesn’t matter

Not sure if it would reframe the discussion too drastically but I think there’s lots of interesting discussion to be had around white fragility within the world of the film itself but also regarding the fact that the film, on a more meta level, has to throw in a bit of “not-all-the-white-folks-are-bad” stuff which feels a bit like studio pandering.

The protagonists’ white boyfriend has something of a redemptive arc which, on paper, does the right thing (he shuts up and listens to what he can do to be a good ally basically) but the fact that it is required for the film is in and of itself an example of white fragility. Could be worth examining in some way?

1 Like

That’s interesting, thanks!

1 Like

Just realised I put school shootings rather than police shootings in the thread title. D’oh.