Here we are again: funniest joke of the fringe

1. “I’m not a fan of the new pound coin, but then again, I hate all change” - Ken Cheng
  2. “Trump’s nothing like Hitler. There’s no way he could write a book” - Frankie Boyle
  3. “I’ve given up asking rhetorical questions. What’s the point?” - Alexei Sayle
  4. “I’m looking for the girl next door type. I’m just gonna keep moving house till I find her” - Lew Fitz
  5. “I like to imagine the guy who invented the umbrella was going to call it the ‘brella’. But he hesitated” - Andy Field
  6. “Combine Harvesters. And you’ll have a really big restaurant” - Mark Simmons
  7. “I’m rubbish with names. It’s not my fault, it’s a condition. There’s a name for it…” - Jimeoin
  8. “I have two boys, 5 and 6. We’re no good at naming things in our house” - Ed Byrne
  9. “I wasn’t particularly close to my dad before he died… which was lucky, because he trod on a land mine” - Olaf Falafel
  10. “Whenever someone says, ‘I don’t believe in coincidences.’ I say, 'Oh my God, me neither!”’ - Alasdair Beckett-King
  11. “A friend tricked me into going to Wimbledon by telling me it was a men’s singles event” - Angela Barnes
  12. “As a vegan, I think people who sell meat are disgusting; but apparently people who sell fruit and veg are grocer” - Adele Cliff
  13. “For me dying is a lot like going camping. I don’t want to do it” - Phil Wang
  14. “I wonder how many chameleons snuck onto the Ark” - Adam Hess
  15. “I went to a Pretenders gig. It was a tribute act” - Tim Vine

oh wow, hang on we can do polls now can’t we.

funniest joke of the fringe according to DIS:

0 voters

1. Surely that must have been told before

heard both 9 & 10 before and i’m even sure 9 has been on a fringe joke list

dunno but I think that’s my favourite one

Only six made me chuckle

5, 6 and 8 for me

13 is dreadful

1 Like

None of these are particularly funny are they? Ed Byrne’s joke has been doing the rounds for years.

1 Like

some of them definitely don’t work written down

whether they would be any better told aloud idk

I quite like 5, although I’d tell it differently. And not as a one liner.

You might be right there. I’m probably being uncharitable but they seem weaker than previous years.

My favourite from a few years back is the Tim Vine one about him seeing an advert for a state of the art Television which had a broken volume control being sold for a £1. “I thought I can’t turn that down”.

4 Likes

5 and 14 both made me smirk, they both provoked good visuals in my tiny mind.

Tim Vine is normally strong in these kind of things. That one where he’s doing a private gig and bombs despite being basically fiune is so cringe and makes me feel so bad for him :frowning:

I’ve definitely heard number one numerous times over the years.

9 and 14 are alright

I saw another of these lists which had a joke I quite liked (which I’ve improved upon if I do say so myself):

What’s a centaur’s favourite clothes shop? Topman.

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure 3 is in Hamlet anyway.

Or bottomhorse.

A Dan Antopolski joke I believe.

I too saw another list (with that one on it), and thought it was pretty uniformly bad. But I saw it on FB on the feed of a friend of mine who loves going to comedy gigs and is FB friends with a lot of comedians. So when I got drunk and started incoherently expounding on the flaws of all the jokes… well it didn’t end well for me. I’m probably the only person in history who’s apologised to Michael Legge.

[I was also so drunk that I failed to understand one of the jokes I thought was terrible. When I sobered up I realised it was really funny.]

The thing is, I think adding the Bottomhorse bit ruins it. It just makes it all too explicit.

1 Like