Here's a legitimate Simpsons ambiguity, though

in episode 1F10, ‘Homer and Apu’, in Apu’s big musical number, which of these is the joke in Homer’s line?

• Homer starts to sing something positive about The Kwik-E-Mart, but realises this, hence “d’oh!”
  • Homer is suggesting the Kwik-E-Mart equates to his catchphrase, “d’oh”, which is to say that it is a bad thing

0 voters

Being objective, which of you has the hottest mum or dad?
The Actual Simpsons Thread (But everyone finally got over their Steamed Hams thing.)

er. Neither.

Homer can’t improvise a song like the rest and fails to create a lyric spontaneously like everyone else can.

Neither. He starts his line but realises it doesn’t rhyme so stops, with his trademark “d’oh” registering his discontent.

Everyone else’s lines all have the same structure and rhyme, his doesn’t accomplish any of that.

that’s the first one!!

first one, m8. come on.

That is definitely not that first one.

wait, I see what you’re saying now.

which makes this even more ambigous!!

*less

I’m going to go out on a limb and say that this is literally the least ambiguous joke in all of The Simpsons episodes ever made.

see, the way I’ve always interpreted the line is in relation to Homer revisiting the Kwik-E-Mart a second time after getting food poisoning.

he accidentally starts singing a positive line, even though the song is anti-Kwik-E-Mart.

but then, it also seemed as if he was singing a clunky line that didn’t quite fit, but he meant to sing it all the same, because he doesn’t seem annoyed or anything during the rest of the song.

This is quite possibly the worst poll ever conducted on these boards.

Another ambiguous Simpsons joke poll

Never thought about it, always assumed homer just messed up his bit but now I think about it think a pro Kwikie mart interpretation is a possibility

always been a fan of you, @ttf.

Apu: Who needs the Kwik-E-Mart?
Now here comes the tricky part.
Oh, won’t you rhyme with me?
Who needs the Kwik-E-Mart?
Marge: Their floors are stick-E-Mart,
Lisa: They made Dad sick-E-Mart,
Bart: Let’s hurl a brick-E-Mart,
Homer: The Kwik-E-Mart is really… D’oh!

Doesn’t even rhyme

when you put it that way, this commonly accepted ‘correct’ interpretation seems on the money.

I couldn’t help but factor in details from deeper in the episode. as if the trickiness was too obvious.

I’ve calmed down now and can see the logic in your other options. I hope this thread doesn’t ruin your evening as it almost did mine.

Actually reckon a rhyme in the last line wouldn’t sound right