Hey Nerds (legit nerds only pls)

I’m reading a guide about checking for a keylogger on my Mac but the first bit, going through the terminal or whatever says to look out for suspicious processes. Is there a more obvious thing I should be looking for? There’s a ton of things that I’ve never heard of and finding out more about them doesn’t really tell me anything.

ZERO REPLIES.

Activity Monitor shows a list of all the processes/applications currently running on the computer, I guess they mean to have a look over those and see if any look odd?

although there’s tons of system ones that are really obscurely named so it would be a bit of a needle in a haystack operation

psj
818 29534 1 0 12:36 ? 00:00:11 /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.8.0-openjdk-1.8.0.191.b12-0.42.amzn1.x86_64/jre/bin/java -Dapp.name=keylogger -Xmx256m -server -classpath /opt/keylogger/default/lib/*:lib/

That’s what I’m doing but I have literally no idea what any of it is, and I don’t fancy looking up every single one. First two that I was sure were DEFINITELY dodgy are totally fine.

Yeah, this is my experience too unfortunately

:disappointed_relieved::tired_face:

have you tried turning it off and then on again

If you’re worried about them, I assume Malwarebytes is still the Windows/Mac go to for this sort of thing. Certainly used to be the go to, it’s pretty good at nuking anything bad.

2 Likes

+1 for malwarebytes

I have nothing to add here except to say that I would definitely buy an album by hip hop collective Legit Nerds.

4 Likes

I remember there being a forum where you could copy and paste your malware bytes log and the nerds would look over it and tell you if anything was suspicious/weird/rubbish. I don’t remember it’s name or if it’s still going though sorrryy.