šŸŽµ HGATR: The First 100 šŸŽµ THE RESULTS (Top 10 starts at post 1372)

The moral of the story is thereā€™s still lots of good HGATR threads to come. Get on with it funkhouser

6 Likes

Iā€™m considering career span to date in what I count as modern (not saying others should though)

in at 18. ā€¦

:man_shrugging:

Kendrick has been putting music out for a decade now though. Whatā€™s the cutoff?

Good score. Probably the least well known of the bands in the top 20/30 whatever (though not on DiS necessarily)

2 Likes

Kendrick would have won if albums from outside the 20th century counted double.

6 Likes

come on now

1 Like

For me about 20 years. Again, not saying itā€™s a rule others should follow

1 Like

Are Frank & Kendrick too new to really evaluate them? (Both 5ā€™s and I will die on a hill that Endless is Frankā€™s best album so far)

Far from James Murphyā€™s usual style, but excited to hear him cover this.

Reckon thatā€™s probably as good a time as any to post my list:

20pts - Kendrick Lamar
19pts - Outkast
18pts - Kanye West
17pts - Wu-Tang Clan
16pts - LCD Soundsystem
15pts - Beyonce
14pts - Bright Eyes
13pts - Rihanna
12pts - Stevie Wonder
11pts - Nirvana
10pts - Blink 182
9pts - Green Day
8pts - Jay-Z
7pts - Destinyā€™s Child
6pts - Bloc Party
5pts - Arcade Fire
4pts - Sugababes
3pts - Otis Redding
2pts - The Cure
1pt - The Supremes

Probably should have just done a list of less than 20 in all honesty to reflect my actual listening habits. The overwhelming majority of the HGATR artists are ones I donā€™t listen to and/or have no interest in listening to.

1 Like

Here come the big point leaps!

1 Like

Yeah perhaps. Itā€™s clear to see how someone like Frank has had a massive influence on a lot of pop music already, though, so maybe not
in summary: maybe

I agree - I think once enough time has passed to see the amount influence an artist has had you can start to assess them. I donā€™t think that there is an artist with as much influence on the sound of modern pop music as Frank Ocean.

My only hesitation in ranking in him the very top bracket is that he releases frustratingly little music.

1 Like

Next one is just silly, you fucking idiots

2 Likes

Surprised The Beatles havenā€™t declared yet. Iā€™d have thought they would be prime candidates for the high cannon:low enthusiasm factor.

Ruff top 20. No Kendrick, sorry.

20 Neil Young
19 Velvet Underground
18 Rem
17 Leonard Cohen
16 Ramones
15 Joy Division
14 Bright Eyes
13 Dylan
12 Cure
11 Smiths
10 Blondie
9 PJ Harvey
8 Nick Cavs & TBS
7 Clash
6 Wu Tang Clan
5 Destinyā€™s Child
4 Nirvana
3 Kate Bush
2 Outkast
1 Bruce Sp

Yeah, weā€™ve barely scratched the surface of the canon of DiS all-time cult heroes. I canā€™t wait to see the threads on Sufjan for example, an artist Iā€™ve tried to get into but I donā€™t feel comfortable tucking into the discography till I have some 2020 context (which these threads do fantastically well at.)

1 Like

17. BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN
(439pts, 3.84)

2 Likes

which way is your list? 20 points to neil young?

1 Like