HGATR: The Planets of the Solar System

I :heart: Uranus

1 Like

From the wiki page

1. The object must be in orbit around the Sun.
  2. The object must be massive enough to be rounded by its own gravity. More specifically, its own gravity should pull it into a shape defined by hydrostatic equilibrium.
  3. It must have cleared the neighborhood around its orbit

Pluto fails to meet the “clearing the neighbourhood” condition - I don’t think it should be penalised just because it’s not some gentrifying twatplanet.

8 Likes

Mercury - just a warm rock really
Venus - probably smells a bit
Earth - 5/5 as an actual planet, 1/5 because of us
Mars - tasty
Jupiter - GBOP
Saturn - GBOP pt2
Uranus - sniggers
Neptune - pretty colour
Pluto - McNulty.gif

4 Likes

For me, it’s between Jupiter and Saturn for the GOAP:

• Jupiter: massive; giant scary cyclone eye; actually responsible in a way for keeping asteroids away from the Earth and is therefore a sort of protective force in the Solar System.
  • Saturn: those rings :heart_eyes: also sits at a jaunty angle, which is cool.

All the planets are amazing in my opinion, though.

3 Likes

@epimer to thread

Bad WiFi.

1 Like

Never been to any other planets. Immediate 1/5 cause I reckon they’re all bad billionaires.

5 Likes

This

Look, Pluto isn’t a planet. If it is, then so is Eris.

3 Likes

Reckon the IAU made the wrong call with reclassification, should have made it essier to meet the conditions to be a planet and let a load of the other trans-Neptunian planets in. Basically their policy is a hostile environment type thing, they don’t want to let new planets in and they don’t care if that means unjustly chucking out a planet they were originally happy to have come in to the planet club.

11 Likes

Eris should totally be a planet. The more the merrier I say.

3 Likes

0 voters

Yeah, that was the plan(et), hence the dwarf planet designation.

It is the Puto truthers who have cause the disparity. Equanimity for all planets, I say

This. Being anti-Pluto is pretty Brexit tbh

6 Likes

@colon_closed_bracket I rate Uranus 1/5 :+1:

1 Like

Pluto is a glorified boulder. I’ve got greater gravitational influence than that idiot.

7 Likes

Earth’s full of wankers, the other ones are 5/5

1 Like

Not sure if I’ve done something to upset you, but okay

Oh, they knew what they were doing alright.

How convenient that the International Astronomical Union just happened to come up with a definition of planet that excludes Pluto. They’ve had it in for Pluto since the beginning. The IAU was founded in 1919. That’s 11 years before Pluto was “discovered” by astronomers. How can anyone possibly take the IAU seriously if it takes them 11 years to notice a whole damn planet? Just surprised it took them so long to come up with rule 3 tbqfh.

1 Like

Mercury - too hot - 2/5
Venus - also too hot but in golden age sci-fi wasn’t it supposed to be covered in jungles? That’s cool but loses points for not being true 3/5
Earth - sustains life of everyone here 5/5
Mars - pretty cool, right next door, seems quite interesting 4/5
Jupiter - just a load of gas 3/5
Saturn - got rings 4/5
Uranus - 5/5 for obvious reasons
Neptune - it’s alright, loses points for not actually being a water planet 3/5
Pluto - 1/5 just a giant snow ball in space

5 Likes