šŸ“ŗ How Good Was it Really: Little Britain šŸ“ŗ

Amazing how many of the catchphrases from this show caught on.

would rather watch mrs brownā€™s boys

2 Likes

Can I just not watch either?

1 Like

A donā€™ like it!

Did find Andy funny tbf with his scouse accent

Aside from all of the obviously foul writing in the show, endless punching down and downright offensive characters etc Iā€™d just like to add that a sketch show with a rotating cast of 10 characters ending every sketch with the same punchline or catchphrase just isnā€™t fucking funny.

Itā€™s a 1 from me.

4 Likes

Youā€™ll still sometimes catch someone delivering a training course, saying ā€œcomputer says noā€

27 Likes

Disliked it at the time and was annoyed at my pals liking this rather than The Fast Show or, yā€™know, anything else. Punched downwards even by the standards of the time and Iā€™m sure itā€™s aged dreadfully in that respect.

2 Likes

Iā€™m just trying to think of parts of Little Britain that werenā€™t horribly offensive. The shit hypnotist, maybe? Was hardly comic gold though

First series had some genuinely good stuff (ā€œIvor, that was the name of Ivorā€), second series pushed it a bit with thr catchphrases and ramped up the downpunching stuff, series three and after are genuinely shit enough to drag the whole thing down. Iā€™ll give it a 2

Itā€™s a shame cause they did have a kind of good grasp for sort of absurd caricatures in like Rock Profile or whatever, but then they shorn off the absurdity and funniness and whatever

6 Likes

I liked Dennis waterman, canā€™t think of anything too offensive in that.

The rest of it was awful though.

Itā€™s odd because from what else Iā€™ve seen and heard of matt Lucas he seems like a decent and funny man.

3 Likes

I remember the Russian babysitter sketch being quite funny at the time (ā€œMy brother Jospehā€¦ people say he is bad, but he is good, in his heart!ā€), but it doesnā€™t seem to exist on Youtube, so the only other bits I remember are the awful offensive bits, which Iā€™m sure is most of it.

I AM THE ONLY GAY IN THE VILLAGE was lovely, growing up in a small Welsh town.

2 Likes

A bit off topic but this stuff really wasnā€™t acceptable at the time (blackface ffs) and it really stank of entitlement with all the council estate stuff. I think there was at the time a bit of an attitude that New Labour had somehow done enough in terms of social and economic progress that it was fine to ironically punch downwards again; fitted in with all the lad culture at the time too

Also catchphrase comedy is just so lazy. The stuff that followed in itā€™s wake was somehow worse as well.

5 Likes

Canā€™t believe I missed Veronica Marsā€™ thread. :frowning:

I think The Fast Show is really funny catchphrase comedy (the only one?) , and I actually canā€™t think of any of its sketches that wouldnā€™t be acceptable today. Maaaybe the black painter, but not really.
Still holds up really well (5)

6 Likes

if i ever saw gervais think iā€™d shout at him asking him to do the dance

6 Likes

Nope.

Loathed it from the first moment I saw it and time hasnā€™t been at all kind to it.

It bothers me when the term ā€˜comedianā€™ is applied to David Walliams in much the same way as when itā€™s applied to James Corden.

No wit behind it at all.

We all liked it at the time.

1 Like

No.

8 Likes

Iā€™ve heard people talk about a ā€˜computer says no mentalityā€™

Anyway, even as a child I didnā€™t understand why people thought it was funny. And I didnā€™t have a sophisticated sense of humour. If anything, I say right the middle of their target market of massive twats