High school reunions

Nah. Public, private and grammar schools have always done them at certain milestones.

It definitely peaked during the Friends Reunited-driven wave around the turn of the millennium, where there were docu-series on them and everything.

And then Facebook came along in the mid-late 00s and killed off the whole reunion market as everyone could keep up to date with what everyone was doing anyway.

And now no one uses Facebook, so no one keeps in touch anymore.

1 Like

Yeah and there were keggers and junior varsity games and sometimes weā€™d all drive our buicks down to makeout creek and people would go steady with each other

13 Likes

Reunions were definitely a thing for some schools. I left secondary in 1996 and they definitely tried and failed to organise a reunion in 2001.

Lots of things just imported unthinking from the US of course. Does my nut that baby showers are considered normal practice in the UK in some places now. Jfc.

1 Like

Itā€™s up to makeout point you clown

3 Likes

I assume if I went to a reunion it would be a case of 40% people I didnā€™t remember, 30% people I remembered but didnā€™t care to speak to 25% people who I still see now and then already and 5% people I would actually want to catch up with

there are friends from school who I miss and would love to spend time with but no way Iā€™d gamble on them being at an officially organised reunion, should really just put in the effort to make contact (eg. have someoneā€™s wife on instagram, could just message her)

No wonder Chuck never gave me his letterman jacket and I flunked my SAT. Iā€™ll never make it to state!

6 Likes

I hope that everyone who goes has a lovely time, but Iā€™d need actual tens of thousands of pounds to attend. And I canā€™t afford to heat my flat this winter.

1 Like

Would obviously never go to a reunion, but every now and then I get a message from someone from school asking if I want to meet up and Iā€™m just likeā€¦ why?? I do not feel your absence in my life.

1 Like

Iā€™m in touch with everyone Iā€™d want to be in touch with from school, as is everyone normal surely, and Iā€™m completely indifferent about what anyone else has done in their life. What sort of sick fucker tries to enforce this crap on people

Went to one that was like 20yrs after GCSEs. Was fine, went to a pub and talked to the two people I still keep in touch with anyway. some vague hellos to othersā€¦never felt the need to repeat it.

2 Likes

I worked with a Spanish guy who said the equivalent term in his language translates as ā€œfucking stationā€.

1 Like

I have this weird mental block when it comes to friends. My brain sort of separates my ā€˜real matesā€™ (largely people I went to school or grew up with) from people Iā€™ve met as an adult. Occasionally I get clarity of mind and see that makes no sense, valuing friendships with people you never see and who you just sat in a room with for a few years over people you share interests with in the present as an adult, but idk, just feel quite cold and strictly business with anyone Iā€™ve met in my twenties or thiā€¦later twenties.

1 Like

Wouldnā€™t mind going to one, there was talk of doing one years ago and it never happened. Iā€™m still friends with the people from school that I liked the most though, and if I go out in my home town Iā€™m quite likely to bump into several others.

Donā€™t really think thereā€™s much network to make one possible. Think a few years back some people in my year tried to set up something but it was basically just one set of friends, maybe like 30 people. I didnā€™t get an invite and Iā€™m fine with that. Iā€™ve kept in touch with the handful of people I want to keep in touch with. Might run into people on Christmas Eve or something which can be a nice novelty, but thatā€™s plenty for me.

Wouldnā€™t have an issue with going to one if it existed. Donā€™t think I have anything to be embarrassed about, Iā€™m a much happier and more confident person than I was as a teenager and my life is nice enough. And Iā€™m a nosy prick so would be interested to see where some people ended up.

Stop being a jerk!

1 Like

I remember this guy from shop class. He was an ass then and it looks like nothingā€™s changed. The hell with him!

3 Likes

What age do they commonly happen at? Never been to one.

maybe they feel yours

There was talk of a ten year one when I ran into some people the Christmas just before covid but then covid happened so I reckon thatā€™s that. Iā€™m still really good friends with a good few people from school anyway, pretty happy with that.

One year ago I was working with two of my best mates from school, one of them left so its just the one now. I still see my closest pals from school at least once a month and at least once a year for the wider group. I would like to go to a school reunion but only to see what the place looks like now