hirers- paying someone to write your CV?

I had the pleasure of having my CV destroyed by a free reviewing service while I was applying for a job. There were many good points and I am able to take criticism (really struggling to find work in the last 2 years despite a lot of experience) so I was open to the idea of re-writing it. However I kinda think this service is only to sell you their services to re-write the whole thing… starting at £79 I think this is kind of a rip-off.

Any advice here?

Are you asking the boards to give you feedback on your CV?

Put an Aristotle quote in quite a large, pale grey serif font in the header.

1 Like

No, I’m asking if having someone review it is just for them to convince you to pay them when there’s nothing wrong in the first place

1 Like

Gonna be honest and say I don’t really understand this as most advice for job hunting now is to tailor your CV to every job you apply for. Seems senseless to pay someone £80 only to have to edit yourself after.

2 Likes

On the face of it this does sound a bit “free stress test”. I’d also be wary about getting your CV rewritten because personally I always tailor mine to whatever job spec I’m applying for.

@daggers Save your money, you write well. Do it yourself.

I usually write a custom cover letter for each application, but the idea of writing a CV each time as well really frosts my ass

I would consider tailoring your CV now as most companies are using applicant tracking systems and are scanning your CV for keywords. They will be filtering out the ones that don’t get enough hits. It’s a shitty, dispiriting way to hire people and it’s a pain in the arse for job-searchers but it’s the way things are.

1 Like

Ok thanks, really appreciate that

Feel like most jobs are down to who you know

You still need a good base to work from though. If your cv is shit, re-writing a slightly different shit cv each time is not going to solve the problem

1 Like

I know nothing about cv writing services but there is loads of useful guidance on Ask a Manager. One thing I’ve learned from there is to focus on achievements when describing what i did in each job. It is American though and you can probably ignore the advice to keep it to one page if you’re in the UK - 2 is fine.

Edit: i think someone on here does something to do with CVs and may be able to advise what services are worth the money? @shes_so_high maybe?

2 Likes

This is what the reviewer told me, which makes sense I suppose

1 Like

Yeah I’m a careers person (I don’t want to be too specific in case people are googling and find my DiS account!).

The vast majority of services are a rip-off. The actual person writing your CV will be paid much less (maybe £15) and won’t usually have the skills needed to make it the best it can be. They usually are given strict templates to follow so your CV may end up a bit better but not much. If you can find a freelance qualified and experienced careers person (as a minimum they should have a level 6 qualification in Careers Guidance, and ideally a Masters) they are likely to do a better job.

@AdrianWebb’s suggestion is good. If you are a uni grad most unis will let you use their careers services for a few years after graduation (and some forever).

My number one top tip is to make sure your CV is tailored towards the job(s) you are applying for. It absolutely should not be a biographical account of everything you have ever done. It should be specific and demonstrate that you have the skills required in the job description/person specification.

Drop me a PM if you’d like me to take a quick (free) look at it. I won’t re-write it for you but I’m happy to let you know what you might be able to improve.

2 Likes

I’m not a graduate, my first job I was shoehorned into the role by completing my masters, worked there for 5 years and then I moved overseas (here) and bounced around pubs for a while. Then when I decided to move on to my last role I realised they would hire anyone as it was a disaster of a company.

In short, I’ve never really known my CV was bad due to the roles I had landed.

Why don’t you submit both versions of your CV for the same job under different names and see which one offers you an interview then we could objectively tell whether the re write was worth it.

Of course you might get offered an interview under the fake name and then have to live the rest of your life waiting to be found out as an identity fraudster.

1 Like

Would be worth it for the DiS thread though

2 Likes

6 Likes

Spent ages worrying about what’s the best CV to write. Particularly given my experience is pretty atypical but also because the advice is often so contradictory.

But apart from making it clear and professional looking I think the most important factor is that the CV represent you well and would be liked by the kind of company or people you want to work for.

This word tracking thing is also a little oversold imo. It depends on the industry but no company I have worked for uses it.