Hits that sample lesser known songs

There probably already is a topic on this, but oh well, here goes:

I’m looking for hits that sample lesser known songs, like for example:

Shaggy - It Wasn’t Me has a sample of War - Smile Happy

Will Smith - Miami uses The Whispers - And The Beat Goes On

Eminem - My Name Is uses Labi Siffre - I Got The…

Drake - Hotline Bling uses Timmy Thomas - Why Can’t We Live Together
Len - Steal My Sunshine uses Andrea True Connection - More, More, More
Mariah Carrey ft. Jay-Z - Heartbreaker uses Stacy Lattisaw - Attack Of The Name Game
Will Smith - Men In Black uses Patrice Rushen - Forget Me Nots

Anyone has other examples?

Before this song no-one had even heard of King Crimson and now loads of people pretend they know him.

The Big Beat by Billy Squier is sampled in Fix Up Look Sharp.

i mean, pretty much every kanye song does this, right?

Not sure if its a sample but that Labi Siffre song also inspired Kill All Hippies by Primal Scream and features Chas n Dave as session musicians.

most of them. like, at the outset of sampling a big part of it was finding records nobody else had so that meant producers were mostly avoiding big, recognisable hits (obviously there are exceptions to this). it’s even more true after the rules changed and they had to start paying people whose work they sampled as big tracks are obvs more expensive

Mariah Carey using Tom Tom Club on Fantasy

Lupe FIasco using Modest Mouse for The Show Goes On

Lupe Fiasco also using Nestle by Far for The Instrumental

that one’s weirdly common, used on loads of things. 99 problems probs the other most famous one to use it

99 problems samples Ice-T for the hook as well

Alcazar - “Crying at the Discotheque” samples Sheila B Devotion - “Spacer”. More than samples really, Take away the “sampled” bit, and there’s not much left.

Alcazar did the same thing a bit later with Genesis - “Land of Confusion”. I forget what they retitled it.

Basically, this was Alcazar’s schtick.

Good ones.

you stole my fact!

Not really sure what the criteria is for this thread, but I remember hearing this for the first time and going, “That’s ruddy Crazy In Love, innit!”

This is not a good answer whatsoever, but I’ll take this thread as an opportunity to confess that my first exposure to “Kashmir” was Puff Daddy yelling at Godzilla.

Goldie Lookin’ Chain sampled this absolute belter on Your Mother’s Got Penis

Shame really because they were unfunny fuckers and Yellow Magic Orchestra are superb, but what can you do?

Also, Boards of Canada’s reworking of this Colonel Abrams track on “A Few Old Tunes” is superb

I realise i’m stretching the definition of both “hits” and “sample” here but I absolutely do not care

I’d always wondered whether it was a Stereolab sample in that track (one of the tracks off Dots and Loops) before now.

the worst part of kanye’s career was when he stopped sampling lesser known songs and just rapped over already-massive songs. which is basically the whole of flo-rida’s career since then.

Yep, who can forget when he sampled Harder Better Faster Rudolph

Have a listen to Edge of 17 by Steevie Nicks!