James Holden

excellent! for some reason I didn’t notice this was out today - must be something to do with a little popular rock band beginning with C.

Highlight of a very good album, for my money. I’ll certainly give his new stuff a listen when I get a minute.

The track titles are epic too!

Never heard of him before yesterday. A brilliant album.

1 Like

Anyone else still absolutely rinsing this? It’s so good. Makes me weirdly happy.

(0 replies, thread sinks without trace)

4 Likes

It’s a masterpiece

1 Like

I haven’t plumbed its depths yet but there’s a real feeling of joy to it as it fills up every space in the room.

1 Like

Listened to The Animal Spirits when it came out then kind of forgot about out. Just put it on again now, absolutely incredible stuff.

Any recommendations for similar stuff. The only thing I can think of is Journey in Satchidananda that I mentioned up thread.

early Floating Points possibly fits the bill perhaps a little moodier than Holden though.

3 Likes

This is not early Floating Points.

1 Like

Ah my mistake I tend to go by albums and this is from the debut but I suppose that rule doesn’t really apply so much to electronic musicians who I guess release more EPs/Singles etc.

1 Like

Fair enough. I may have been a little blunt. It’s just that his sound has changed a lot from the early, housey tracks. Any excuse to post this tbh

Everything he’s done is great though. Elaenia is properly brilliant.

1 Like

Finally picked up this album last week. Don’t know why I didn’t get involved earlier - I loved his previous two albums proper. I literally think that I might have subliminally been put off by the ‘Animal Spirits’ moniker.

Anyway, it is absolutely brilliant. Good omens when I went to pay for it in Rough Trade East and the guy behind that counter told me ‘That’s a fucking great album’.

Anyone caught it live? Worried that I may have missed my chance unless he visits some festivals this summer :neutral_face:

2 Likes

Saw this late last year, was a very enjoyable show, at Islington Assembly Hall, was better live than just listening to the album, for me at any ratee.

Might be a biased view as I absolutely loved The Inheritors, and saw that live at least 3 times, so most things would suffer by comparison.

2 Likes

New show at Queen Elizabeth Hall on sale now…

https://www.southbankcentre.co.uk/whats-on/128453-james-holden-animal-spirits-2018

1 Like

New album out this month. Soundtrack to a Cambodian documentary…

3 Likes

Really recommend that Szun Waves LP for anyone who hasn’t heard it and enjoyed Animal Spirits.

4 Likes

How nice is this Artwork?! So good to hear new James Holden music!

7 Likes

The track is really nice, I liked The Animal Spirits but I’m more than ready for a proper follow-up to the Inheritors.

2 Likes

A decade since the last ‘proper’ Holden album! Definitely ready for a new one…