Home appliance/electrical goods quirks

Can’t believe you warm your dinner plates in the dishwasher mate.

I tried doing it in the washing machine but I kept forgetting they were done.

Two different Bluetooth speakers, both have different issues when connected to my laptop. One will randomly sound really boxy 10% of the time and need to be turned off and on again, the other will have 30 second bursts where the sound cuts in and out repeatedly (roughly once per 40 mins of listening time) but you just need to leave it alone til it settles down

the oven is totally useless if the clock isn’t set on it, but I have no idea how to deliberately change it. So after any power cut I just have to randomly mash and hold all the available buttons for a few minutes until something seems to work again :man_shrugging:

1 Like

The TV I had at uni used to change the channel to BBC2 if you pressed the volume down button on the remote.

Mine’s got a countdown clock, but it’s spectacularly inaccurate. It shows 6 minutes to go for the last 20 or so. More frustrating than not having it at all

3 Likes

My dad used to have a fridge that would beep at you if the door was open longer than 30 seconds. Swear he modified it to do so. “Dad, leave me alone! It’s Christmas and I have a right to graze for cold meats and cheese”

1 Like

Also you have to reset the clock on the oven every single time you use it, and it won’t switch on unless the clock is set. Probably a 6/10 irk.

My parents cooker is like that. Unfortunately the fan also doesn’t cut out for some reason so you have to turn it off at the mains switch after use. Then you have to go through all the rigmarole with the clock whenever you turn it on the next time you want to use it.

Should have told her to stop it

I wouldn’t mind if it beeped a minute afterwards for all of the things that are meant to stand for one minute after finishing.

We used to have a fridge like that, so annoying when you were putting away the big shop.

With the old stereo in the front room it always goes straight to the radio setting when you turn it on. It also always defaults the volume up quite high so after you turn it on you have to mash the CD and volume down buttons to avoid a burst of very loud static.

2 Likes

My digital clock radio does this too (the coming back on again thing). It also sometimes decides it doesn’t want to turn on and refuses. Weird.

Another of our cheapo digital radios somehow gets confused by the Radio 4 pips and every hour it silences the next five seconds or so of radio.

1 Like

Mine does this , but it only works for the fridge bit and not the freezer where It would be far more useful

Fridge dial randomly creeps up until it actually starts freezing stuff. Mmmm frozen cheese. The dial is currently held in place by some sellotape.

Ours (a posh old Miele) does this too, both fridge and freezer. Me and Mrs F have different responses to it. She will happily stand there indefinitely letting it beep while moving things in and out. I on the other hand will desperately try to get my business done before the beeping starts and if I fail I immediately shut and reopen the door before carrying on. I think I might be a bit neurotic.

Mate that’s definitely ghosts.

Nah, the ghost we have ‘Nigel’ insists it’s not him.

1 Like

remember with my old pc, you had to touch part of the motherboard with a piece of metal to start it because i’d broken the power on switch.

1 Like